FS9 & FSX Overspeed

Pro Member Trainee
Robert (Zebraone) Trainee

I thought when I got FSX MS would have fixed the overspeed problem. Why doesn't the overspeed warning go off when you climb above 10K ft?
The speed limit is 250 KTS or less below 10,000, but when you fly the jets above 10K the warning comes on at about 300 KTS.

What's the deal? Can you shut it off? I haven't found a way short of taking my headset off.

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Chat01 Trainee

Well as far as I know the overspeed warning has nothing to do with your altitude
The warning should only go off if your exceeding the maximum speed for your type aircraft.

Speeds frequently used in General Aviation
VA
design maneuvering speed (stalling speed at the maximum legal G-force, and hence the maximum speed at which abrupt, full deflection, control inputs will not cause the aircraft to exceed its G-force limit). Maneuvering speed is limited by aircraft structural characteristics.
VFE
maximum flap extended speed (a different maximum speed may be specified for partial flap extension).
VLE
maximum landing gear extended speed. The maximum speed at which the aircraft may be flown with the landing gear extended. VLE is always higher than VLO
VLO
maximum landing gear operating speed. The maximum speed at which the aircraft may be flying while raising or lowering the gear. VLO is always lower than VLE
VMC
minimum control speed with the critical engine inoperative.
VNE
never-exceed speed.
VR
rotation speed. The speed of an aircraft at which the pilot initiates rotation to obtain the scheduled takeoff performance. It must be greater or equal to the V1 speed.
VNO
maximum structural cruising speed (the maximum speed to be used in turbulent conditions) or can refer to the velocity of normal operation. VNO is specified as the upper limit of the green arc on many airspeed indicators. This speed is specific to the aircraft model. The range above VNO is marked on the airspeed indicator as a yellow arc from VNO to the VNE.
VREF
reference landing approach speed; speed (in calm air) at the landing screen height of 50 ft. Often used by pilots as a base from which to calculate speeds to be used during landing, and calculated as a margin over the stall speed - usually 1.3×VS0.
VS
the stalling speed or the minimum steady flight speed at which the airplane is controllable. Usually synonymous with VS1.
VS0
the stalling speed or the minimum steady flight speed in the landing configuration.
VS1
the stalling speed or the minimum steady flight speed obtained in a specific configuration (usually a configuration "clean" of flaps, landing gear and other sources of drag).
VX
speed for best angle of climb. This provides the best altitude gain per unit of horizontal distance, and is usually used for clearing obstacles during takeoff.
VY
speed for best rate of climb. This provides the best altitude gain per unit of time.

[edit] Speeds used in high performance aircraft and other reference speeds
VB
design speed for maximum gust intensity.
VC
design cruising speed.
VD
design diving speed. Usually 1.4×VNO.
VDF/MDF
demonstrated flight diving speed.
VEF
the speed at which the critical engine is assumed to fail during takeoff.
VF
design flap speed.
VFC/MFC
maximum speed for stability characteristics.
VFTO
final takeoff speed.
VH
maximum speed in level flight with maximum continuous power.
VLOF
lift-off speed.
VMO/MMO
maximum operating limit speed.
VMU
minimum unstick speed.
VSR
reference stall speed.
VSR0
reference stall speed in the landing configuration.
VSR1
reference stall speed in a specific configuration.
VSW
speed at which onset of natural or artificial stall warning occurs.
VTOSS
takeoff safety speed for Category A rotorcraft.
V1
critical engine failure recognition speed. V1 is the minimum speed in the takeoff, following a failure of the critical engine at VEF, at which the pilot can continue the takeoff with only the remaining engines. Any problems after V1 are treated as inflight emergencies. In the case of a balanced field takeoff, V1 is the maximum speed in the takeoff at which the pilot must take the first action (e.g., apply brakes, reduce thrust, deploy speed brakes) to stop the airplane within the accelerate-stop distance and the minimum speed at which the takeoff can be continued and achieve the required height above the takeoff surface within the takeoff distance. In this context, V1 is the takeoff decision speed.
V2
takeoff safety speed. Also called takeoff screen speed, the minimum speed in the second segment of a climb following an engine failure.
V2min
minimum takeoff safety speed.

[edit] Non-regulatory speeds
These values are not defined by FAA regulations.

VBE
best endurance speed; the speed that gives the greatest airborne time for fuel consumed. This may be used when there is reason to remain aloft for an extended period, such as waiting for a forecast improvement in weather on the ground.
VBG
best power-off glide speed; the speed that provides maximum lift-to-drag ratio and thus the greatest gliding distance available.
VXSE
speed for best angle climb with the critical engine inoperative.
VYSE
speed for best rate of climb with the critical engine inoperative.
V2
t/o safety speed
V3
steady initial climb speed with all engines operating
V4
steady climb speed with all engines operating to be achieved by 400 ft gross height
Va
design maneuvering speed
Vc
design cruising speed.
Vclmax
max coefficient of lift speed.
Vd
design diving speed
Vdmin
minimum drag
Vdf
demonstrated flight diving speed
Vef
the CAS at which the critical engine is assumed to fail
Vf
design flap speed
Vfe
max flap extended speed
Vfto
final t/o speed
Vimd
minimum drag
Vimp
minimum power
Vh
max speed in level flight with max continuous power.
Vle
max landing gear extended speed
Vlo
max landing gear operating speed
Vlof
lift-off speed
Vmbe
max brake energy speed
Vmd
minimum drag
Vmc
minimum control speed with critical engine inoperative
Vmca
minimum control speed, air
Vmcg
minimum control speed, ground
Vmcl
minimum control speed, approach and landing
Vme
max endurance
Vmo
max operating limit speed
Vmp
minimum power
Vmr
max range
Vmu
minimum unstick speed
Vnd
max structural cruising speed
Vp
aquaplaning speed.
Vra
rough air speed
Vref
reference landing speed
Vs
V-stall
Vso
stall speed in landing configuration
Vs1
stall speed in a specified configuration
Vs1g
one g stall speed
Vsr
reference stall speed
Vsse
safe single engine speed
Vt
threshold speed
Vtmax
max threshold speed
Vx
best angle of climb
Vxe
best angle of climb, single engine
Vy
best rate of climb
Vyse
best rate of climb single engine
V speeds are nearly always given as Indicated Airspeed (IAS), so that pilots can read them directly off the airspeed indicator (ASI). ASIs carry color-coded markings that give the pilot an immediate reference, as follows:

VS0
bottom of white arc.
VS
bottom of green arc.
VFE
top of white arc.
VNO
top of green and bottom of yellow arcs. The yellow arc is a caution, as speeds in this region may add dangerous stress to the aircraft, and are only to be used in smooth air when no turbulence or abrupt control inputs are expected.
VNE
red line and top of yellow arc.
In addition, on a light multi-engine aircraft, VYSE is indicated by a blue line, and VMC is indicated by a red line near the bottom of the green arc

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Zebraone wrote:

I thought when I got FSX MS would have fixed the overspeed problem. Why doesn't the overspeed warning go off when you climb above 10K ft? The speed limit is 250 KTS or less below 10,000, but when you fly the jets above 10K the warning comes on at about 300 KTS.
What's the deal? Can you shut if off? I haven't found away short of taking my headset off.

The speed limit of 250 KIAS is a regulation not a limitation of the aircraft. The maximum speed limit is set by the aircraft manufacturer and varies by altitude. Normally Vmo (KIAS)at lower altitudes and Mmo(Mach) at higher altitudes. You can't turn this off and if you want realistic flying you should not ignore this but fly the aircraft within it's limitations. 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
Robert (Zebraone) Trainee

Well thanks for all the V-speeds, but I have them in my AIM manual, and other POM's.

The point I was trying (and failing) to make: the heavy metal aircraft that can do 500 kts, can do so above 10,000 feet. It is not overspeed if you are flying a Boeing Jet at FL200 and indicating 480 kts. Why doesn't FS9/X understand this. Why can't I turn it off when overspeed is not the case?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Zebraone wrote:

Well thanks for all the V-speeds, but I have them in my AIM manual, and other POM's.
The point I was trying (and failing) to make: the heavy metal aircraft that can do 500 kts, can do so above 10,000 feet. It is not overspeed if you are flying a Boeing Jet at FL200 and indicating 480 kts. Why doesn't FS9/X understand this. Why can't I turn it off when overspeed is not the case?

A heavy aircraft has airspeed limitations set by the manufacturer for safety reasons. It can't do 500 KTAS or KIAS at FL200. Most large aircraft have a Vmo of about 330-370 KIAS. Above about FL 280, Mmo(Mach) is about .82-.88 depending on aircraft. These are limits in the real world so MS replicates this and you can't turn this feature off.

FL200 at 480 KIAS (not TAS) = about 615 KTAS or about Mach 1.0
Set airspeed to read IAS instead of true for realistic indications.

Sec. 25.1505 Maximum operating limit speed.
The maximum operating limit speed (VMO/MMO airspeed or Mach Number, whichever is critical at a particular altitude) is a speed that may not be deliberately exceeded in any regime of flight (climb, cruise, or descent), unless a higher speed is authorized for flight test or pilot training operations. VMO/MMO must be established so that it is not greater than the design cruising speed VC and so that it is sufficiently below VD/MD or VDF/ MDF, to make it highly improbable that the latter speeds will be inadvertently exceeded in operations. The speed margin between VMO/MMO and VD/MD or VDFM/DF may not be less than that determined under Sec. 25.335(b) or found necessary during the flight tests conducted under Sec. 25.253.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

It seems like you're a bit puzzled about the overspeed situation in Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX). Let's delve into this and hopefully, I can help clear things up for you.

First off, to understand this phenomenon, we need to talk a bit about Indicated Airspeed (IAS) and True Airspeed (TAS). When you climb above 10K ft, the air becomes thinner. Therefore, even though you're flying faster in terms of True Airspeed, your Indicated Airspeed might not show a substantial increase. This discrepancy might be what's causing the overspeed warnings you're experiencing.

Here's a simple analogy: Imagine you're swimming through water, then suddenly the water turns into honey - you would need to put in more effort to maintain the same speed, right? That's essentially what happens when your aircraft climbs above 10K ft - the "medium" it's flying through (air) becomes "thinner", and it needs more power to maintain the same Indicated Airspeed.

The Deal with Overspeed
The overspeed warning is there to prevent structural damage to the aircraft caused by too much aerodynamic stress. In FSX, the overspeed warning is tied to the aircraft's Indicated Airspeed, not its True Airspeed. This means that even if you're flying at an altitude where the air is thin (hence the True Airspeed is high), if the Indicated Airspeed exceeds the aircraft's limitations, the overspeed warning will sound.

How to Disable the Overspeed Warning
Unfortunately, there's no straightforward "switch" in FSX that allows you to turn off the overspeed warning. However, you can lower the volume of your warnings to a more comfortable level. Here's how to do it:

1. Go to the Options menu, then select 'Settings'.
  2. Choose the 'Sound' tab.
  3. Look for the 'Warnings' slider and adjust it to your desired level.

Remember, overspeed warnings are there for a reason, so try to fly within the aircraft's operational limits. If you consistently fly your aircraft at high speeds, you may want to consider getting a faster jet that can handle those speeds without triggering the overspeed warning.

From my knowledge, the same principles apply to both Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and X-Plane 12. So this approach can be used in these platforms as well, given the issue is similar.

I hope this helps! Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...