Problems downloading the YF-22

Pro Member Trainee
kakashi12355 Trainee

I downloaded the YF-22 I went to my computer, program files, microsoft games, microsoft flight sim, simobjet, then airplanes where i copied the file then i went back and copied the guages file to the FSX guages file and my plane still wont show up, i have looked at the tutorials over and over again and it still will not show up, can someone help me please

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

My guess is that it is an FS2004 aircraft and whoever slipped it into the FSX download section "forgot" to add a thumbnail to the textures and/or "forgot" to edit the aircraft.cfg for it to show up in the selection menu.

Pro Member Trainee
kakashi12355 Trainee

Is there anyway i can do that myself?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

kakashi12355 wrote:

Is there anyway i can do that myself?

Sure you can. Have a look inside the default B737_800 Aircraft folder. Open the aircraft.cfg with Notepad (right-click and select "Open with...").
Now find these lines:

ui_manufacturer="Boeing"
ui_type="737-800"
ui_variation="Boeing livery"
ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"
ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"

Ideally, you should have all those lines in the aircraft.cfg of your YF-22. Obviously, you'll have to edit those lines accordingly i.e.:

ui_manufacturer="Lockheed" (...I think)
ui_type="YF-22"
etc.

You might not have enough information to edit all five lines... that's OK, just leave those out.
Now go back to your B737_800. In each texture folder you'll find a thumbnail.jpg 256 x 128 in size.

Run FSX, load your YF-22, take a screenshot and resize it to that size with a program like Easy Thumbnails: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Others/Easy-Thumbnails.shtml or any other program you feel comfortable with - there are also Online Image Resizers available, just google and see what you like.

After you've placed a thumbnail inside a texture folder, the aircraft will show up in the picture book of the SELECT AIRCRAFT menu. Needless to say, if you have more than one texture folder for the aircraft, you have to make a thumbnail for each one and place it inside the respective texture folder.

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

Which 22 do you have. I have f22thunderraptorver2.zip It works well in FSX. I think I got it here in the downloads section.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...