Autobrakes

Pro Member Trainee
timohnani Trainee

Hi guys,

I've seen that on some aeroplanes there is such a thing as autobrakes. What does it do? How should I use it effectively?

Also do all aircraft have "air" brakes? Do the spoilers have something to do with this? Where exactly on the aircraft are the spoilers?

Thanks

Timo

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Hello Timo!
Autobrakes are used to slow down your aircraft right after landing. It's an automatic brake that the aircrafts have. If you are flying with a heavy jet, like the 747-400, you can put the autobrakes to 2. If you put 3, you are forcing the tires to slow down quickly and that damages the aircraft. Now, if you are in an emergency, and you need to touchdown quickly, set the Autobrakes to MAX. Also, if the runway is short for your aircraft, set the Autobrakes to MAX too.
Autobrakes 1 are used in aircraft like A320, 737, A319, and others. But of course, if the runway is small for your aircraft, you have to set the Autobrakes to 2. It all depends on your aircraft.

As for I know, all the aircrafts have "air" brakes, or most called Speedbrakes or Spoilers.
The Spoilers are used to make an aircraft descend, slow your airspeed down, increase the drag of the wing and decrease the lift. When the airplane lands on the runway, the pilot usually brings up the spoilers to kill the lift, keep the plane on the ground, and make the brakes work more efficiently.

The Spoilers are located on the back of the wing. Go to Spot View and clicl the "/" (slash key) and you will see the Spoilers.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

If you "arm " the spoilers,they will deploy automaticaly 😀 when you reverse thrust(pressF2)

To arm,drag the spoiler lever to the 1st position

Pro Member First Officer
George Leach (CDR) First Officer

You can also arm the spoilers by using [ SHIFT + / ] on your key board.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hehe, I missed that part of arming the Spoilers Embarassed .

Pro Member Trainee
timohnani Trainee

Thanks guys for all the help!

Timo

Pro Member Chief Captain

You're welcome, sir!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Thought i'd add, with the 747-400, generally all the braking power you need unless you are landing heavy, with a shorter runway, is set to 1. If you have it on 2, you'll generally stop way short of the runway's turn-off points and you'll haev to give it gas to get going again. If you haev it on 1, come out of reverse thrust at 60KIAS, then stop autobrakes at 20 KIAS, and use the period key for braking from then on.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Autobrake 1 to be used for usual operations
Autobrake 2 and 3 used for wet or slippery runways or when landing rollout distance is limited
MAX To be used when stopping in minimum distance is required. Deceleration rate is less than that produced using full manual braking but safer...no blowouts!!

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

I wanted to add..... The auto brake system is there to prevent skidding mainly. Just as the others stated. It applies maximum braking for a particular condition.

Bigger aircraft have it because the physics involved are greater.

It is pretty much an anti-skid system. With the system on max, it applies maximum hydraulic pressure to the brakes without skidding. About 3000 psi depending upon the plane.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

I almost never use the autobrake. There was one runway that was high and hot--- i.e. density alt that I needed the autobrakes. The spoilers are set to deploy when the mains touch down on the rnwy.

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

Truthfully, I NEVER use it because regular brake application gives the same effect. It is not modelled very accurately (regular brakes) If they behaved like real brakes, WE would be using AB. 🙄

Hello Leadfoot. Long time no see! Good to see you again!!

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Speaking of autobrakes, they don't work in the Citation I dnld. Howdy Elkinallen. I didn't know I was missed. I guess somebody loves me.lol

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...