Motherboard

Pro Member Trainee
flysully Trainee

I'm,in the coming weeks,planning on getting a new computer.

specs:dell xps 625
AMD® Phenom™ II X4 940 Black Edition (3.0GHz, 125W)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 (64 Bit)
21.5in S2209W Full HD Widescreen Black UK/Irish (1920 x 1080)
6144MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048 + 2x1024]
750GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA/100 Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst™ cache
1GB ATI® Radeon™ 4870 HD graphics card
Killer NIC™ Gaming Card
Liquid Cooled Heatsink

I have been reading online about motherboards but I am still unsure what the main purpose of a motherboard is.could someone tell me?

Also is this computer powerfull enough to run fsx[max settings]with high framerates?

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

If you compare a computer to a human body, the motherboard is like the spinal cord. It's what you plug the CPU, graphics, memory, and other stuff into. It's also what gives you most of your ports, such as USB and sound. While it's hard to quantify its impact on your performance other than by measuring bus speeds and such, It really does have a huge impact on the stability of your computer. My advice is to go to newegg and read the reviews on them, or get a nerd friend to help you pick one. Are you building your own computer?

Pro Member Trainee
flysully Trainee

yea,how will I know what the motherboard is in the system above.I'm buying it from dell

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Well, if you're buying a Dell computer, it will have a Dell motherboard -- it's what's called a proprietary component, basically meaning that the upgrade possibilities will be limited but what's much worse, if your mobo fries, you'll have to replace it with a Dell mobo... and that's where they get you.
Proprietary parts are usually more expensive than the other ones - the good ones.

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Another significant aspect of motherboards is that it's the component that uniquely identifies the computer during Microsoft operating system (OS) registration/activation. Replace the motherboard and you have to call mother Microsoft and explain it's a hardware upgrade of your existing OS licence. She only lets you do that once. I'm migrating to windows 7 in October and will upgrade to a PCI-E v2 capable motherboard just before.

With respect to motherboards, it's all in the input/output (I/O) chips. Your "specked" Radeon™ 4870 and Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM denotes a current generation I/O chipset. As always there are break throughs on the horizon.

Pro Member Trainee
flysully Trainee

Ok,thanks I know what it is now but do you think this pc will run fsx Ultra high settings with high framerates

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

It's a pretty wicked system i'll give ya that... Though I don't know much about ATI cards so you might want to double check that it's a good one.

Pro Member Trainee
mitch0508 Trainee

Yes i imagine that this computer will run FSX with pretty high settings because it has a processor with lots of GHz and a good graphics card!

Hope you enjoy the new computer!

Pro Member Trainee
flysully Trainee

just got my new pc.Runs fsx extremely well.really smooth.thanks for all the advice

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...