Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Jets-Takeoff Throttling

Brook
Trainee
Trainee

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:16 pm 

OK, through trial and error I've found the best way to control FS jet takeoffs is: after rotation, throttle almost all the way back about 75% and let speed dissipate to my initial climbout speed, whereupon I engage autothrottle. This seems to be the best way to keep from rocketing to the moon on takeoff.

I'd like to hear if this is close to proper flying, or how it's performed in real world.

Any sources I can read/watch?
Traches
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:10 pm 

I believe you leave TO thrust on until about 1500 feet AGL (or is it 3000?), then throttle back to climb thrust. Immediately after takeoff you control your airspeed with attitude (I.E. Pitch the nose up to control your airspeed.)

The F.S. default aircraft autopilot sucks hard... I wouldn't use it until you've got a constant V/S you can set it to maintain.
99jolegg
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:12 am 

Yes, Traches is right. You will have the necessary power to takeoff (not usually 100% N1) which is usually derated to some extent.

You leave this power setting until around 1500ft where you can reduce you rate of ascent and let the speed build.

Control your speed with pitch, rotate gently to a speed about V2 + 10.

Try a lower power setting on the take off roll...perhaps about 85-92% depending on the aircraft and the prevailing conditions.
Click below to support FSF:

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:57 am 

You should maintain takeoff thrust until 1000ft above aerodrome elevation and then reduce pitch, reduce thrust and accelerate. The 3000ft question used by Tranches relates, I believe, to NADP1, in which you will still reduce thrust at 1000ft, but you won't accelerate, which means less thrust and less noise.