Winds in FSX

Pro Member Trainee
Simmy Trainee

In the real world on a lengthy flight the winds will change in direction and speed over the flight. When planning a flight in FSX can this be replicated at the beginning of the flight or do you have to pause it and alter the winds in WEATHER along the route?

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

Simmy wrote:

In the real world on a lengthy flight the winds will change in direction and speed over the flight. When planning a flight in FSX can this be replicated at the beginning of the flight or do you have to pause it and alter the winds in WEATHER along the route?

You can go into advanced weather in User-Edited weather. You can set no winds for 0-5000 feet, then start placing 50 knot steady up to 75 wind gusts (no turbulence) in the heading you're going.

Pro Member Trainee
Simmy Trainee

I am not quite sure if we are talking about the same thing. What I mean is flying at a constant altitude say from Edinburgh to Paris can I set different winds at cruise altitude near Edinburgh a different wind say over London at th same altitude and yet a different wind approaching Paris or do I have to pause the SIM to reset the winds at these locations?

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

(edit) ...Wups, you replied while I was composing. yes you can enter different weather at every station FSX shows in advaced weather edit. FSX will save your entries when you save the mission.

It depends on the FSX weather selected. If you use Real-World, updated every 15 minutes, then yes weather changes periodically as the reporting stations update. FSX also performs an averaging between stations depending on your location. If you select manually entered advanced weather, then it will not change over time. I use Real-World because it's easier, I'd have to manually enter weather for every station otherwise.

1 cavat though, A few stations are broken and always report the same weather. It can be raining and blowing 120@14 on Corpus (KCRP) but always clear and 270@4 on Alice (KALI).

Pro Member Trainee
Simmy Trainee

Many thanks. Fully understood.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...