Running FS2004 on Windows7

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

I previously ran FS9 on Windows XP but am now transferring over to Windows7.

In XP I was advised to modify the system registry to stop Windows updating my files last access date on files every time they were read. I did this and it greatly improved the performance.

Does anyone have experience with Windows7 and can advise if I need to do this again?

Richard

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Pete (pdegraff) First Officer

How do you modify the registry to accomplish what you said?

Pete

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Hi RichT, i don't know about modifying the system registry in W7, but i did have a few issues running FS2004 in it when i had it (i've now gone back to XP). W7 Premium would'nt run FS2004 properly and apparently it would run on W7 Pro and Ultimate because they have a "run this programme in XP" mode,but i was informed this was like running a system within a system and reduces performance!
All i know is FS2004 would'nt run as i wanted it to on the W7 i had!

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

Since going over to W7 it has been an expensive transition. Firstly I had to change the wireless LAN card, sound card and graphics cards, as none of these would work properly in W7.

I previously had GE ProII and Active Sky 6.5, Ultimate Traffic and other add-on programmes - yet again these had to be replaced as they would not work. I now have to check with every add-on if it will work in W7.

That said however I am starting to see the improvement. I now have a clean FS9 which I am building up slowly still, but the flights I have run so far have been a lot better, with sharper images and smoother running (could partly be due to the new graphics cards as well!).

Pete, with regards to the registry in XP, I did the following to improve performance:

From the Windows desktop:
Press START then RUN
type REGEDIT
Browse to:hkey_local_machine\system\current controlset\control\filesystem
add DWORD NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate
Change value to 0X1

Now reboot your system.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...