Help Needed for FSX Using Vista!!!

Pro Member Trainee
f1nalyd Trainee

I cant seem to find the folder where you put all of ur add ons on there, the aircraft folder, i goto microsfot games; flight simulator x, and it dosent show up with any of the folders at all, so i cant upload any add ons in there, plz help me ppl.

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Brickwall132 Trainee

Do a search of your hard drive, type in "SimObjects", If this doesn't come up try and do a reinstall.

Pro Member Trainee
Roar54 Trainee

I don't know if brickwall's comment worked, but if not. Have you tried vista's virtualstore? Inside your app data folder in your user file. It may have been put there by vista's stupid installation system. This happened to me when I was modding mtw2.

Pro Member Trainee
jrocky Trainee

f1nalyd wrote:

I cant seem to find the folder where you put all of ur add ons on there, the aircraft folder, i goto microsfot games; flight simulator x, and it dosent show up with any of the folders at all, so i cant upload any add ons in there, plz help me ppl.

Click Start button, then click Computer, on the top menu bar click Tools, then click Folder Options. With Folder option screen open select View tab, expand Hidden Folders and Files, place check in "Show hidden files, folders and drives". Also while in the same screen uncheck "Hide extensions of known file types" if there is a check in that box. Leave "Hide protected operating systems files (Recommended)" checked. This should allow viewing all folders on your system. If there is a 'padlock' icon on file folders, those can not be opened, but there is a way around viewing those if you want by right click on those folders, then Properties button, then Permissions and check allow for your user name along with Administrator. Most likely you will not to view the 'locked' files 😉

Pro Member Trainee
Carlin Trainee

The default location for Your aircraft folder is: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Sim Objects

If you have already checked there the try searching "Aircraft" in the files search.

-Sorry if I'm Being Redundant.

Last edited by Carlin on Thu May 12, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
Roar54 Trainee

Not wanting to correct f1nalyd's above post, but the semicolon ( ; ) he/she has put in after the drive name should be a colon ( : )
But mainly I'm posting to ask if any of the solutions worked? It might help other people who may look at this topic for help.

🍻

(I don't even drink!)

Pro Member Trainee
Carlin Trainee

Roar54 wrote:

Not wanting to correct f1nalyd's above post, but the semicolon ( ; ) he/she has put in after the drive name should be a colon ( : )
But mainly I'm posting to ask if any of the solutions worked? It might help other people who may look at this topic for help.

🍻

(I don't even drink!)

you mean me?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

This must be the weirdest thread I've encountered in any flightsim forum. It should be posted and made a Sticky on every site dealing with FS with a caption that reads:

"How NOT to communicate if you wish to get a result."

Here we have 5 (five) posters each talking about something entirely different and unrelated to the OP. I might as well add "...I ate lunch because I was hungry." 🙄 At least this makes sense. Or even more appropriate: "The blind are lading the blind..." 😳

Now we all know that f1nalyd won't be coming back because all he wanted to know was how to install a/c -- he's probably found the answer elsewhere by now or simply given up on FSX all together.

Carlin is right about the location of the aircraft folder except he forgot to mention the 'Airplanes' after the 'SimObjects'... yes, it matters.

@Roar54... there is no solution because there is no problem in the first place; oh, wait a minute, there is a problem: After 4 years of what once used to be a vibrant and knowledgeable meeting place for flightsim enthusiasts the powers that be still haven't managed to put up a decent 'How to install aircraft' guide.

The reply to f1nalyd's OP would be:

Press E on your keyboard while holding down the Windows key. You have just opened Windows Explorer. Now navigate to... etc. etc.

It's all so easy

Pro Member Trainee
Carlin Trainee

Tailhook wrote:

Carlin is right about the location of the aircraft folder except he forgot to mention the 'Airplanes' after the 'SimObjects'... yes, it matters.

ya I know I meant the aircraft folder should be in:

I wrote:

C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Sim Objects

Last edited by Carlin on Thu May 12, 2011 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member Trainee
korfus Trainee

I have several friends that have had a heck of a time trying to use FSX with Vista, is that normal? I am getting a new computer soon, but I think i will just buy the bare-bones PC and add my vieo card (512 MB), so I do not have the problems they are with very laging display (even with higher than recommended video card).
I also was wondering how (if at all) FSX may do if I get a dualprocessor Mother Board and use a 64 bit version of my windows? I have 32 bit and 64 bit now on 2 PCs, but use FSX on the 32 bit machine.
Thanks in advance for any helpful replies. This is my first post.

Walter

Pro Member Trainee
murrayayata Trainee

f1nalyd wrote:

go online www,addit.com and load its free and work good it find your folder it load your aircraft but like mine turkish 737-800 paint terribble which is flyaway programmer mistake thank Captain murray ayata

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

korfus wrote:

I have several friends that have had a heck of a time trying to use FSX with Vista, is that normal? I am getting a new computer soon, but I think i will just buy the bare-bones PC and add my vieo card (512 MB), so I do not have the problems they are with very laging display (even with higher than recommended video card).
I also was wondering how (if at all) FSX may do if I get a dualprocessor Mother Board and use a 64 bit version of my windows? I have 32 bit and 64 bit now on 2 PCs, but use FSX on the 32 bit machine.
Thanks in advance for any helpful replies. This is my first post.

Walter

FSX will run fine with a dual processor CPU, however the video-card (at 512Mhz) will not. You will need to get a graphics (video) card that has at least 1Ghz of video processing power.

Also, I would move FSX to the 64 bit machine instead of the 32 bit. If you are running Vista at 32 bits, the OS will lock the amount of RAM its using around 4 gb (correct me if I am wrong fellas). Vista uses at least 1Gb of RAM to operate and FSX requires at a minimum of 1Gb as well... that is 2Gb gone already. You will need to run FSX in 64bit mode to unlock any additional RAM you may have on your system. And chances are you are probably pushing about 3 to 4 gb on your current system.

But we will need to know your entire computer specs to determine that....

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...