Help with realism in FS9

Pro Member Trainee
Jack (CaptainDale) Trainee

Hi guys, got a few questions regarding realism in FS9.

At the moment Im using fs2004, prefer it to fsx right now.

I am looking for free ways of making the whole thing a bit more realistic, because I dont think Im getting everything out of it that I could be.

A lot of the downloads dont seem to be quite what they say they are...and I am currently looking for the following (without luck)...

1) A download (free) which adds realistic flight dynamics to the aircraft. When the aircraft lands, theirs no bounce or shake which of course in real life there would be. It just seems to touch down without a movement. Does anyone know of a download which offers added effects for this type of thing?

2) A download (free) which adds airport sound, rather than just aircraft sound. Its not that realistic whilst holding short of a runway to have an aircraft on the runway next to you, takeoff with barely any noise or whilst at the gate...traffic taking off and landing would normally give off some loud reverse thrust noises etc...the enviroment seems a little dead.

3) Finally...Im looking for a download (free) which offers the real deal in terms of engine sound. A lot of the downloads for engines say "Rolls Royce...sounds just like the real thing, recorded from a real aircraft" however after downloading them, they sound nothing like the real deal at all. When your in an aircraft (as im sure you all know) just before takeoff the engines build up and then hit full throttle which gives off that loud scary buzzing noise. These downloads just seem to be one continuous engine noise, just louder and quieter for the throttle change. Is there any real rolls royce engine downloads which anybody knows about (which actually DO sound like the real thing) ?

Sorry to pester you all with this sort of stuff...just after watching YouTube and seeing video's with some very realistic looking and sounding aircrafts and enviroments, I know theres things im missing.

Thanks for any advice.

CaptainDale.

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

CaptainDale wrote:

2) A download (free) which adds airport sound, rather than just aircraft sound. Its not that realistic whilst holding short of a runway to have an aircraft on the runway next to you, takeoff with barely any noise or whilst at the gate...traffic taking off and landing would normally give off some loud reverse thrust noises etc...the enviroment seems a little dead.

At AVSIM you can get ai_sound.zip and at Flightsim@com you can get aisounds.zip

Try them both and see which one you prefer. You should additionally go into your Settings - Sound and turn up the 'Environment' and perhaps turn down 'Cockpit' and 'Engines'.

1) A download (free) which adds realistic flight dynamics to the aircraft. When the aircraft lands, theirs no bounce or shake which of course in real life there would be. It just seems to touch down without a movement. Does anyone know of a download which offers added effects for this type of thing?

That's a tricky one depending how you look at it. I'd suggest that you start with additional sounds again... though they won't change the flightdynamics of any aircraft, at least you "feel a sound" or "hear a feeling" inside your cockpit that will make all the difference. These two files apply to heavier aircraft and are both available at AVSIM: bnrollnew.zip and touchdown_v2.zip
...other than that, you can find improved flight-dynamics for individual aircraft in the file libraries but those won't usually give you a 'shake-down' upon touchdown. You should try and change in your Settings the Realism options for that purpose, it might help.

3) Finally...Im looking for a download (free) which offers the real deal in terms of engine sound. A lot of the downloads for engines say "Rolls Royce...sounds just like the real thing, recorded from a real aircraft" however after downloading them, they sound nothing like the real deal at all. When your in an aircraft (as im sure you all know) just before takeoff the engines build up and then hit full throttle which gives off that loud scary buzzing noise. These downloads just seem to be one continuous engine noise, just louder and quieter for the throttle change. Is there any real rolls royce engine downloads which anybody knows about (which actually DO sound like the real thing) ?

In short, this is a case of experimentation. I know exactly what you're talking about - I must have close to a hundred soundsets. I do have a couple RR sounds with the typical spooling sound... sadly, as I'm still currently rebuilding my fs9 install I have to find them first. I am making a note and will reply or contact you once I have found them in my archives.

P.S.: Also keep in mind that depending on the author of the soundset, the spooling and whining sounds and the response time between throttle input and audibility may be available in both, Cockpit and Exterior view or only one of the two.

Pro Member Trainee
Jack (CaptainDale) Trainee

Thank you very much for your speedy, helpful and very detailed response. It was a lot of help.

It is also much appreciated that you may be able to help me out with the RR sounds once you've found them. Thanks a lot! As always on flyawaysimulation.com .... a fantastic help.

😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

"Houston - we have a problem..."

But they did make it back at the end. 😀

The Problem: I collected all of my soundsets from AVSIM prior to the devastating attack, with the exception of a few obscure prop sounds from even more obscure sources.
In case you are not aware of it, the same file often has a different file name at different libraries. To complicate matters, filenames can be very cryptic so when I look through my file archive, I sometimes haven't a clue what might be hidden inside a particular .zip file.
In the pre-hack AVSIM era I knew how to look for and find a soundfile easily provided it was available in their library. Each library of course also has a different type of search engine. At Simviation for example you won't find a file by searching for its filename.
Having re-visited the AVSIM library periodically since the attack, I find that many files haven't been recovered (yet?) - soundfiles in particular; so I have recently relied more on FLIGHTSIM.
Right, enough whining and self-pity.

The following files appear to be correlated with the ones I have from AVSIM:
At FLIGHTSIM look for:

b757rldl.zip by Christoffer Petersen

rrtr700s.zip + fix by Emil Serafino

777sndpk.zip + fix by Devyn Silverstein (this one includes RR, PW and GE sets neither of which is to be scoffed at - included are exterior and interior spooling sound samples, nice touch).

You might additionally google for "Rolls Royce Trent800v2 Soundset for FS2004" and "Rolls Royce Trent 556 Soundset for FS2004" -- I found those two headings in a couple of ReadMe files but was unable to positively match the sets I found with the ones I have.

Confusing? It's a start anyway. There are more out there some of which claim to be compatible with both fs9 and FSX but I haven't tried those yet.

We should also keep in mind that a particular soundset might sound awe-inspiring on one system but mediocre on another. I've changed my computer 'soundsystem' several times in recent times, in fact the last change was a downgrade in sound quality because my current set-up requires less cables... oh, the cables Wall Bashing
...but I will not have a set-up without a sub-woofer these days, it makes a helluva difference. As a sound enthusiast you probably have one anyway.

A final note: Should you be interested in how to cut down on the number of soundsets you actually place into your aircraft folders but still take advantage of a myriad of available sets within your sim, there are various ways of doing this by means of aliasing of course, thus avoiding unnecessary bloating of the sim. Unless you already have your own method, I'll be happy to share my method with you; the exact same method can be used with panels. Basically it allows you to switch from one soundset or panel respectively with a very quick and easy edit of the sound- or panel.cfg.

Have fun 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...