A380 Emirates download will not install.

Pro Member Trainee
Stuart (Earwigo) Trainee

I am new to 'Fly Away' and wish to install an Airbus A380 in Emirates livery. I have managed to install the 'demo' version, but that puts black blocks round the aircraft. I tried a non-demo version, but it says the installer won't work (corrupted??) and I'm stuck. This also was the case with another version of the same aircraft.
Can anyone help me, please?
Many thanks in anticipation of some assistance! 😕

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Stuart (Earwigo) Trainee

I've now managed to get the aircraft installed by manually putting the files in SimObjects\airplanes, and the effects files in the effects folder, but I don't have a cockpit! I just get a plain forward view. I installed Concorde files manually in the same way, but again don't have a cockpit - in that case just a few odd instruments show up.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Stuart.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Backup the Panel folder inside this particular Airplane Folder.
Now copy and paste the Panel folder from the default B-747 into the A-380 Airplane folder.
This is the easiest way. If you know how to alias the panel instead, go ahead and do it.

This should give you at least a 2D panel. If you want a proper A-380 panel, you'll have to google. Make sure that you use a panel for FSX - as the FS2004 A-380 panels available probably won't show you any gauges in FSX.

Pro Member Trainee
Stuart (Earwigo) Trainee

Hello again. Many thanks. I have done what you suggested, but still see no panel - just a forward looking view.
It's as if it isn't 'seeing' the panel folder for some reason.
Have you any further ideas, please?
As ever, my most grateful thanks,
Stuart.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Stuart, if you let me know the file-name of the aircraft and the file library where you got it from I can download it myself and try and solve the problem.

Pro Member Trainee
Stuart (Earwigo) Trainee

The file is pa380_ek_a6-eda_fsx from the Fly Away downloads section. The aircraft file is Project Airbus A380-800 Emirates (A6-EDA). It came from Downloads/Civil Jet Aircraft.
Thanks for your continued help with my two problems!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Well I'm glad you chose this file - it is from Project Airbus or 'pairbus' if you want to look them up on the net. It is the best freeware 380 available for FSX despite their statement that it was developed for FS9 (FS2004) and that they are therefore unable to provide support.

I've solved the panel issue but I'll digress a wee bit and perhaps you'll find this interesting.
Prior to FSX, the VCs (virtual cockpit or 3D panels) were very basic in Microsoft's Flight Simulators. Most were just ugly drawings with gauges and switches which were only cosmetic and couldn't be clicked on. In other words when you wanted to make any changes such as adjusting settings in the AP you had to switch from the VC back to the 2D panel.
Good VCs could be designed even for FS9 models but the freeware developers mostly didn't bother no doubt one of the reasons was that most of us weren't interested in a 'fully clickable' VC... we simply flew with the 2D panel - or Panel as you and I call it in this topic. 🙂

With the event of FSX, developers and simmers became obsessed with VCs. If you go to Settings / Customize / Aircraft, under Cockpit Settings you'll probably find that the 3-D virtual cockpit view is checked by default.

With this option selected if you load the default Cessna for example, you'll find yourself in VC mode though you can switch to the 2D panel.
Needless to say, in Settings... you can opt for 2-D instrument panel instead of 3-D virtual cockpit. Now load the Cessna again (new, Free Flight) and see what happens.

The reason why you can't see the panel when you load the Pairbus 380 is because it was not developed for FSX and thus does not include a VC.
Now think about it, if in Settings / Customize / Aircraft, under Cockpit Settings the 3-D virtual cockpit option is selected, you won't see a panel when you load the 380... because this aircraft has no VC modelled.
The Panel (2-D instrument panel is there however).

Even in the realm of 2-D panels the complexity can vary greatly depending on the developer's skill and enthusiasm. Therefore also the key assignments for panel pop-ups may vary.
It's a good idea to get into the habit of holding down the Shift key while you're still sitting on the tarmac and pressing 1 - 2 - 3- 4 all the way to 9 respectively, just to discover what your panel consists off.

Back to the Pairbus 380... you're sitting on the tarmac and all you see is... tarmac 😳
Hold down the Shift key and press 1 (note: these are the numbers above QWERTY, not on the Num Pad). You should now see the default 747 2D panel.

I'll refer to one of my previous posts in this thread:

Backup the Panel folder inside this particular Airplane Folder.
Now copy and paste the Panel folder from the default B-747 into the A-380 Airplane folder.
This is the easiest way. If you know how to alias the panel instead, go ahead and do it.

I wrote this because I didn't know which file (aircraft) you were having problems with. If you did exactly what I asked you to, you should be able to to the exact steps in reverse.
Simply delete the Panel folder you copied from the B-747 to the A-380 Airplane folder and use the original Panel folder which you backed up instead. (The name of the folder must be simply 'Panel'.)

Why???

Because... the boys at Pairbus have already aliased the default 747 panel to their 380. Open this original Panel folder and you'll see that it only contains the panel.cfg file which you can open with Notepad.
Have a good look at it but don't make any changes. Close it again... now open the Sound folder which, like the Panel folder contains nothing but a .cfg file - namely the sound.cfg... open it with notepad and have a good look at it. Close it.
Now go to the default b747_400 and open the Sound folder... surprised?

This is the beauty of aliasing. It is frequently used for Panel(s) and Sound(s) - by the developers to reduce the file size and by us, the end users to conserve drive space.

Should you have accidentally deleted, misplaced or murdered the original Panel folder which came with the 380, just download the file again - it's in there.

OK, now we'll take a rest, drinks are on me 🍻

Pro Member Trainee
Stuart (Earwigo) Trainee

WOW!
Thanks for all the above!
I now understand what's going on, so am most grateful to you for taking all that trouble to tell me everything.
Very best wishes,
Stuart. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You are most welcome!

I take it then that you can see the panel?

I'd also like to remind you that there are A-380 panels available at Flightsim and Avsim by Hector Molina and Pasquale Rinaldi if you're so inclined.
Having said that, the b-747 default panel works perfectly in the a-380.

Pro Member Trainee
Stuart (Earwigo) Trainee

Yes the panel's there in all it's glory!
Many thanks again.
Stuart. 😀 😀 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...