X-Plane demo and my joystick

Pro Member First Officer
Pete (pdegraff) First Officer

I just downloaded and atempted to start the X-plane demo, but it does not see my joystick at all. Nothing shows in the Joystick calibration window. Nothing at all! Well, the window is there but nothing is in the box.
FSX and FS9 both see the joystick just fine.
Can you help me?
Pete

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer

I should add that my joystick is 11 (eleven) years old, the label says it's a Medion MD9604, it is wireless into a USB port, has eight buttons, a hat switch a throttle and a twist grip for rudder control. It has always worked perfectly with all of the M$ flightsims - so well in fact that I never even considered a Sytech (or whatever they are) joystick.
But X-Plane demo does not see it at all. 😕
Suggestions???
Pete

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

All I can think of is a feeble...try another USB port.
I would go onto their forums and ask very politely.
Why very politely, a while back I noticed that they aren't the friendliest group of flyer's.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Actually, that may be the way to go.
I'll try it tomorrow, if I have time.
Thank you for the prompt response
and it's good to see you here, Radarman, the invincible!
Pete

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

pdegraff wrote:

Actually, that may be the way to go.
I'll try it tomorrow, if I have time.
Thank you for the prompt response
and it's good to see you here, Radarman, the invincible!
Pete

Good luck, let us know how you do.
Thanks 😂

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

RADARMAN TO THE RESCUE!
It worked, Radarman! I'm flying. I'm actually flying!
Took off, went around, and landed again.
Now I have to help Grandma attend to the grandsons....

BUT ... when I open the X-Plane demo icon on my desktop it opens a file folder. In that folder, among other things, are "X-Plane.exe" and "X-Plane-32Bit.exe". I just flew using the former but I wonder if the latter will perform any better.
I haven't yet looked at my frame rate but it seems smooth, much, I mean MUCH, unlike FSX.
My system: Q9300 quad 2.5GHz; 4GB RAM; Galaxy GTS450 w/1024MB/MO (brand new this week); 1T (One TeraByte) hard drive; all running on Vista Ultimate 64.
I fly FS9, FSX and now, hopefully, X-Plane.
The system runs FS9 at 20-some FPS and FSX at 5-6 FPS if there's any scenery complexity at all (such as Dallas-Fort Worth airport). FSX has been very disappointing because of that slow frame rate.
I was hoping the GTS450 would improve my FSX frame rate, but it did not.

But X-Plane is flying! ... very much thanks to Radarman!
Pete

Pro Member First Officer

I should have mentioned that I also have and ocassionally fly FLIGHT, but I'm too tight, and too distrustful of Micro$oft, to buy any of their extensions. That's besides the fact that they changed keyboard key assignments. Grumble grumble.....
(Did anyone notice they have omitted the telescopes from the peak of Mauna Loa, both in FLIGHT and, I think, in FSX. Probably to minimize the temptation to terrorists.)
Pete

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

pdegraff wrote:

RADARMAN TO THE RESCUE!
It worked, Radarman! I'm flying. I'm actually flying!
Took off, went around, and landed again.
Now I have to help Grandma attend to the grandsons....

BUT ... when I open the X-Plane demo icon on my desktop it opens a file folder. In that folder, among other things, are "X-Plane.exe" and "X-Plane-32Bit.exe". I just flew using the former but I wonder if the latter will perform any better.
I haven't yet looked at my frame rate but it seems smooth, much, I mean MUCH, unlike FSX.
My system: Q9300 quad 2.5GHz; 4GB RAM; Galaxy GTS450 w/1024MB/MO (brand new this week); 1T (One TeraByte) hard drive; all running on Vista Ultimate 64.
I fly FS9, FSX and now, hopefully, X-Plane.
The system runs FS9 at 20-some FPS and FSX at 5-6 FPS if there's any scenery complexity at all (such as Dallas-Fort Worth airport). FSX has been very disappointing because of that slow frame rate.
I was hoping the GTS450 would improve my FSX frame rate, but it did not.

But X-Plane is flying! ... very much thanks to Radarman!
Pete

👍 Sounds as if your really enjoying yourself now that everything works.
Let us know when you buy X-Plane and above all...enjoy!

Radar

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

You can grab the X-Plane demo over in the file library here:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/3276/x-plane-for-windows-mac-linux-demo/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...