New desktop PC

Mark Paul Brockdorff Guest

Hi all,

I am looking for my 1st PC for FSX and I am looking for some help from you. I've found this PC which is a bargain and here are the specs: AMD A6-6400K 4.1GHz Dual Core Processor with Radeon HD 8470D Graphics, USB 3.0, 500W PSU, 1TB Hard Drive, 8GB RAM, 24 x DVDRW Drive

Will this help me run FSX smoothly with weather and scenery add ons like REX etc?

Thanks for any help 😀
Regards,
Mark Paul Brockdorff

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Both the CPU and the card are old and going for about $50-$70 each.
You won't be bale to run it full out but will be able to run it and enjoy it.
Running your FS9 and running the FSX are very different where the need for POWER comes up.
You get what you pay for.

Take a look at the high end system he's using.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/39555/fsx-crashes-if-i-select-military-aircraft/

Radar

Thanks for the info, would it be better if I get the same specs but with an AMD A8 CPU?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you mean a quad core, yes...much better.

You have to buy FSX Gold or FSX Deluxe and the Acceleration pack so patches SP1 and SP2 are installed, they use all the "cores", if you don't have them you are running on a single core.
Be sure to get the biggest NAME brand power supply to can afford.

Take a look at how old my computer is and the specs.
By the way, that's a 2gig video card...hot hot hot.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/35696/my-new-rig/

Radar

Thanks, really appreciate it 🙂 I'm new to all of these stuff so I am trying to get an idea. Thanks once again 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your welcome and there are others much more knowledgeable than me ready to help.

Radar

Please excuse me for all of these questions 😛 Found this PC and it seems to be a bargain, what do you think of the specs: Intel Core I5 4460 1tb 8gb 1600Mhz GTX 750TI 2gb Apache Computer Gaming PC Gigabyte H81M-S2H Motherboard 8GB DDR3 1600mhz Performance Ram Nvidia Geforce GTX 750TI 2gb GDDR5 Corsair CX600 80 Plus Bronze Certified 600w Power Supply 1tb Seagate Barracuda Sata 6Gb/s 64mb Cache 7200rpm

Thanks 🙂

Some corrections to my previous post:
Power Supply 500W ATX
Processor Type Intel Core i5 4460 Haswell 3.2GHz
Hard Drive 1TB SATA
Memory 8GB DDR3
Motherboard Asus / Gigabyte / MSI
Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
Dedicated Graphics Memory 2 GB

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That looks quite good.
The card is old but so is FSX, with 2gig you should get some pretty good FPS (frames per second) if you lock it at 20fps.
The p/s a little weak but it should do the job and a i5 is a nice CPU.

Radar

Thanks a lot 🙂 A local shop has got it and its on sale around 150 euro less so will have to check it out.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Good luck, I hope you get it and it satisfies you.
You can't run FSX full out but you should be satisfied with the results you get.
Maybe a few tweaks to the software and you'll be very happy with it.

Radar

Guess what? Another change hahaha 😛 well my father was helping me search for some computers and he found this at quite a reasonable price, so here are the specs: Intel® Core™ i5-4460s Processor,8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel 8X DVD±RW Drive 1TB SATA Hard Disk Drive (5400rpm) 2GB AMD Radeon R7 A265.

Thanks, and please excuse me for all the questions 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That looks very good, be sure they don't slip in a 350w power supply.

Radar

Finally made my decision, haven't bought it yet will be doing so. Its the Alienware X51 R2 with the following specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Processor 3.6Ghz (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
2TB (7200rpm) (64MB Cache) Hard Disk Drive
Slot loading Dual Layer DVD/RW Optical Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Ti with 2G GDDR5

Hope its good 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

😀 Good?
That's a huge difference from the other boxes you were looking at.
This is one great machine.
Alienware is well worth every penny.

You will be thrilled when you see the performance it gives you with FSX.

Let us know how you do.

Radar

Thanks for everything, asked a lot if questions did I? 😛 Will do tell you. A local store offered me to pay for it monthly which was very good and also offered me 100 euro off if I take in any old pc 🙂

Thanks once again and happy simming 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That's a good deal, that old machine of yours isn't worth much in money but it makes a good net surfer, email machine for someone.

We all ask questions, it's the only way we learn.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...