FSX multi-monitor setup unstable

Pro Member Trainee
gr8audioguy Trainee

Hello all;
I have finally cried uncle in trying to fix my FSX computer. I have Win 7 x64, 16gb I3 with 2 Geforce GT-430 pci cards and both FSX and FSX Steam installed. This problem happens on both versions of FSX. The system works perfectly as long as I am using one GPU. Shortly after opening a view on the other GPU, FSX crashes to a black screen for a moment, then reboots. The system is flawless in all other Windows applications. It is a clean Win 7 installation with very little installed other than FSX. Tried UIautomationcore.dll and there are no device manager conflicts. Any light that can be cast on this rather perplexing situation would be very much appreciated.
Thank You very much!
Glenn 😀

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

FSX was never built for Crossfire or SLI.
Try plugging both monitors into just one card and see if that works.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
gr8audioguy Trainee

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more descriptive. I have 4 monitors connected, 1 dvi and 1 vga on each card. No sli involved. It will fly all day with FSX on one card w/ 2 monitors but if I drag something like... GPS to the other card it will crash within 5 mins.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

3 ideas.
1. i3 isn't the most powerful CPU and it may not be able to handle the extra load you put on it.
2. Your power supply isn't strong enough and your overloading it.
3. If it crashes in 5 minutes it could be overheating, dust usually causes crashing=overheating.

Move your slides to the lowest they can get, autogen, shadows, clouds and AI.
It will look bad but lets see if it still crashes, if not then you are pushing something in your computer.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
gr8audioguy Trainee

Hi Mr Radar Man;
Thanks for the suggestions, I tried each and every one and am a little bummed out to say that the problem persists. I tried a couple of other things also. I rolled the nvidia driver waaayy back - as far as I could and I also sprung for a SSD to use for Windows and FSX - all to no avail, the original problem just won't go away. I am almost at the point to scrap the geforce cards and go with something else just for grins, I can't imagine what else could be the issue.
Tell you one thing tho... I put windows, FSX and FSX SE on the SSD. WOWsers.... Best 60 bucks I've spent in a long time. I thought there had to be some mistake when I saw how fast it generated scenery. That's just how fast SSD's are over regular HDD's. Thanks again for the help and if I ever solve it I'll post the outcome here.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Good luck, I hope you find the solution.

Radar

pdc172 Guest

I've just set up my system with an additional monitor which is a VGA monitor. When I start the system and drag a window onto the VGA monitor the system crashes .... as you have described. I wonder if it's a combination of mixing digital outputs with analogue - would be great to hear Smile

I had to ditch the Nvidia cards and go to Radeon R6's - Everything is working great - analog and digital at the same time. Xplane and P3D all smokin!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...