Flying float planes

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

I like to fly float and sea planes but fed up of loading them to an airport and then moving them to the water. For a start, you do not end up in the water but above it and have to land before you can take off. Plus you have to go through the same process everytime you want to fly a float plane.

Doing a Google search I discovered someone had overcome this problem by installing a program that allows you create an helipads anywhere including in water. Trouble is that I cannot find that program.

Does anyone know of a program that can do this. I want to create them at popular lakes and sea ports and be able to select them like I do airports in both FSX and FS2004.

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

Thanks RadarMan
I have downloaded all 4 and it looks complicated. Will take days to read and digest all the material. But apart from that, a quick glance through the pages seem to indicate that it is designed for solid airports rather than water runways. I shall know better after having had time to study the documents.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Let us know how you do.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

I decided to install the program and go from there. It installed it OK but when I came to the New User Wizard, aparently it could not find the SDK in my FSX Gold Edition with Accelerator. There is a SDK folder on the DVD so surely the SDK should have been automatically installed along with the rest of the program.

I reinstalled FSX using repair mode but the only difference it made was to make my FSX unusable. Luckily I use Acronis True Image and was able to restore everything back to how it was.

The funny thing is that although it says it is a FSX prpgram and that you have to have FSX Deluxe for the correct SDK, it has an option for FS9 and when loading it onto FS9 you do not get a New User Wizard come up.

Anyway, having wasted the best part of a day studying the documents and attempting to get the program running, I am inclined to give this Airport Creator and Editor a miss.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes, since you have The Acceleration Pack you have the updated SDK.

https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FSXSDK-SP2Update.aspx

See if this is any better.

http://www.abacuspub.com/scenery-shortcut

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

I downloaded the FSX SDK SP2 Update but it said not to install it if you the accelerator installed. I uninstalled the accelerator but that effected my EZdoc camera. So I also uninstalled the EZdoc camera and reset all the joystick commands. I then attempted to install the FSX SDK SP2 Update. However, I got a message saying before I could install that I needed to install the FSX SDK SP1 Update. So I downloaded that and when I tried to install it, got another message saying I needed the FSX SDK SP1 from the FSX Deluxe version.

Unfortunately I do not have the deluxe version.

If I knew for sure that this Airport Design Editor would create water runways for me, I would buy the deluxe version off ebay, even though it would only be used to obtain the FSX SDK SP1.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The link is to prove that since you have acceleration you don't need the download.

If you have the Gold version then you have deluxe.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

Yes I learnt from another post on here that the Gold version is the same as the deluxe. However, the Airport Creator and Editor program still asks for the SDK. A YouTube video has shown me how I can install it from the DVD and I am going to give that a try. Not that I can understand why it was not installed when installing the FSX.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I think it has to be installed separately, not loaded with regular installation.

Sorry about taking so long to answer, we had some problems with this forum...fixed now.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

Well I final got the program up and running and guess what. It does not appear to do what I want it to, not unless I invent a fake Airport ID and give a lake the name of the nearest city.

I went to the Airport Creator and Editor forum and searched through as many posts as possible but saw nothing referring to the creating of a water runway.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
1up2down Trainee

I do not think any program is going to do what I really want. What I was really hoping for was to simply be able to click on change for the current location and select a lake or sea port the same way as any of the airports. For some strange reason, these programs although they give lots of information on how to change or create airports, do not tell you how to use them from within FSX.

So I have decided to create my own water runways using a combination of Google Earth and saved flights. Using Google Earth I locate lakes and sea ports where I would like to take off from. Then using the world map in FSX slowly move myself to those places. When I eventually reach the ideal spot, in the open world map window, set the altitude and airspeed to zero. Then when I press OK it loads me on the water at my chosen spot.

Its a slow long winded way of achieving my aim but faster than studying and experimenting with these complicated programs.

As I create saved flight files I am going to copy them to a backup drive so I will always have them.

Thanks for trying to help all the same.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Sounds like a good plan.
Flying should take time, take it slow and enjoy!

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...