Auto Pilot

Pro Member First Officer
mako (makonnenl) First Officer

When is the best time to engage auto pilot ❓ is it soon after take off while climding or soon after I have reached my desired altitude ❓ ❓

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Can be done from about 500ft AGL....depends when you want to let it take over really.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

In real life it depends on who you fly for,as different airlines have different policies
As a rough guide most will engage A/P at about 2000ft,or once the aircraft is stable and flaps have been retracted

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

If I want it to be on auto pilot for the journey I usually engage at 1,000 AGL or when flaps are fully retracted.

Guest Ed Guest

I usually do it whenever I'm certain it won't make me smack into the side of the nearest mountain, if I have the wrong button pushed (like Heading instead of Nav). Not that I ever make dumb mistakes like that, of course. Embarassed

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Best thing to do to avoid the situation described above.
Flight director ON.
AP OFF AT arm
Dial in speed V2/V2+15, heading/Nav, altitude.
After departure the FD should give a sensible indication if it does then engage the AP. (500ft AGL minimum)
It depends on the AP you are using but my method:
As above having everything set on the ground on the AP ie step altitude, heading.... + rate verified & crosschecked then gear up. 500ft press heading and alt (speed) verify FD is correct sense then engage AP, at 1500ft dial in speed to 250kts retract flaps on speed schedule.
Very basic but gives good discipline for those who are serious with FS

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...