Activating FSX acceleration key

This works

Log on to the computer.

Exit any programs that are running.

Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\CLASS\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\Upperfilters
On the Edit menu, click Modify.

In the Value Data box, type PartMgr, and then press ENTER.

Close Registry Editor, start the product, and then try to activate the product.

PartMgr - make sure copy and past this in your MODIFY value data, now it should pop up your activation key.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Your question about activating the FSX Acceleration key caught my attention, and I have some insights that may assist you. The steps you provided are essentially correct for modifying registry entries (which are a kind of database used by Windows to store low-level settings), but there are a couple of things that I'd like to point out.

A word of caution: Editing the Windows Registry can have profound effects on your system, and should always be done with care. Incorrect changes can cause significant system instability. It's always recommended to create a System Restore Point before making any changes.

The provided registry path seems a bit off and may not direct you to the correct subkey. The general path to the FSX product key should look something like this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Here, you'll find a subkey named "PID". Inside that PID key, you'll find the product key you entered when you installed Flight Simulator X.

Furthermore, "PartMgr" is usually a value associated with partition management and I'm not entirely sure how it's related to activating the FSX Acceleration key.

The correct value you're looking to modify to help with activation issues in the FSX registry is generally "ActivationContextOffline" or "ActivationContextOnline". You can find these keys under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\ACCELERATION

Changing the value of these keys from 0 to 1 or vice versa can help resolve activation issues.

Your steps with the correct path and keys would look like this:

• Log on to the computer.
  • Exit any programs that are running.
  • Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
  • If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  • Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\ACCELERATION

• On the Edit menu, click Modify.
  • In the Value Data box, type 1 (or 0 if it's currently 1), and then press ENTER.
  • Close Registry Editor, start the product, and then try to activate the product.

From my knowledge, this should help activate the FSX Acceleration pack. I hope this helps you and other pilots having a similar issue. Remember to always tread carefully when delving into the registry!

As a side note, this solution applies to Microsoft Flight Simulator X and may not be relevant to the latest versions such as Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 or X-Plane 12 as they use different mechanisms for product activation.

Blue skies and tailwinds!

Pro Member Trainee
btroy93401 Trainee

I followed the post above, and found that the value in the Reg Key was lower case by default.  Use the one suggested in the post above, and it works fine.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...