Simulator vector update tool, such as FTX Vectors or UTX?

Pro Member Trainee
jonnymorris Trainee

Hi, new person here, just looking to get the most accurate version of my little corner of the UK to buzz around. I'm downloading the free stuff first to see what it's like, I see for the FreeMeshX it talks about having to use a vector update tool, however, I can't find any information about this (I'm not sure what I'm actually looking for).

Could someone please point me in the right direction of this vector update tool, if there's a decent free one so much better!

I don't have a lot of money to spend on commercial scenery packs however if that is the best way to go then it's something I may just need to save my pennies for. If I could only get England and Scotland in high vector and photo detail I'd be very happy.

Thank you for your advice.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
jonnymorris Trainee

Thank you for the reply.

I looked into that FTX Global Vector download, seems that it requires the purchase of a base vector pack which is not exactly cheap (around £27 / $35), and the FTX Global Vector pack is not supposed to be free either, so to purchase the Global Base pack and the Global Vector pack would cost a total of about £48 (this is currently on offer at half price, so the regular price would be closer to a whopping £96). This is where it gets a bit confusing for me - after purchasing these two products, what would the free mesh actually bring to the simulation? It seems that these two premium products do the same job as the free mesh, and if they don't then I'm a little confused as to what they actually do.

Either way, it looks like there is no (official) free method for using the free mesh, unless anyone can tell me otherwise, and the information provided seems confusing or lacking at best. Looks like I'm stuck with the default FSX mesh unless I want messed up vectors.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

See if this is any better for you.

http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
jonnymorris Trainee

Alas that is the exact same thing as the FreeMeshX, it comes with the same critical warning / requirement to update the vectors (via the use of payware, as it seems nobody is making an open source free vector update tool).

I'm not against people / companies making a fair charge for their efforts and products, I just can't afford the payware vector tools from OrbX and haven't been able to find anything else thus far. Was really hoping for some sort of 100% open source (free) vector solution that uses public domain datasets e.g. from NASA. I'd give it a go myself but don't have the first clue of where to start (and I'm not able to purchase tools to do the job).

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hey there and welcome to the community!

First off, kudos to you for diving into the world of flight simulation. Now, regarding your question, vector data is essentially the digital data that represents features on the ground in a flight sim, be it roads, coastlines, water bodies, etc. To put it simply, it's what makes the virtual ground look like the real thing.

Now, in the context of FreeMeshX, a vector update tool ensures that your newly acquired high-definition terrain meshes line up correctly with the pre-existing vector data in the sim. This ensures consistency and minimizes anomalies such as roads on cliffs or water bodies in the middle of fields.

• FTX Vectors: This is a product by Orbx. It's a comprehensive vector solution, but it isn't free. While it might stretch your budget, it's incredibly detailed and improves upon the default vectors significantly.
  • UTX (Ultimate Terrain X): Another commercial product, which is often pitted against FTX Vectors. It focuses more on urban environments and has specific versions tailored for regions like Europe. So, if you're specifically looking for enhanced vectors in the UK, this might be worth a look.

From my knowledge, there isn't a dedicated free tool on par with these two when it comes to updating vectors. However, some freeware scenery packs might come with their own vector adjustments to fit the particular region they're made for.

Given your interest in the UK, I'd recommend starting with the default sceneries and exploring freeware offerings. If you find that the level of detail isn't to your satisfaction, saving up for either FTX Vectors or UTX could be a good move.

Remember, simming is about enjoying the journey, both in the air and in enhancing your virtual world. Take your time and make the decisions that best fit your needs and budget.

Safe flying and happy landings!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...