Best places in FSX to test add-ons and fsx.cfg?

Pro Member Trainee
Kalnon Trainee

Hi, I'm going to install FreeMeshX 2.0 and some other of the more popular scenery add-ons as well as mess around with the fsx.cfg file so I'm trying to figure out where the best airports or areas in the sim are best for testing all of this.  I haven't played FSX in years so I'm having trouble remembering which places have the best views to take in.  I want to be able to do before and after tests so I can really get the best idea of how the add-ons and other changes I make affect the look and feel of FSX.  I want to see where the changes are most dramatic in both populated and unpopulated areas (also near water and mountians).  I would really appreciate any suggestions anyone has.  I would also like to know just so I can later explore and take in new sights.  So much of FSX I have yet to see even though I played the sim for years back in my youth.  I have the Steam Edition.  Thank you.

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

First install one add-on at a time.
That way if there is an error you'll know that it was the one (not 2 or 3) that you installed at one time.
I always liked to fly out of KSEA to Boeing field and keep going in a circle and land back at KSEA.
You could alway fly out of LAX making a right turn over the desert to the mountains and back to LAX.

Just have fun!

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Kalnon Trainee

Thanks for the advice.  Makes sense to test one at a time, much easier to troubleshoot.

So I flew the route you suggested, KSEA ti Boeing Field and I can see why you like that route.  It really is a lovely area and has a great mix of different terrain and scenery.  Has some cool landmarks too like that big shipyard and I also flew over what looked like the Seahawks (probably old) football stadium.  Think I'll be testing a lot from that spot.  I do remember flying out of LAX years ago now that you mentioned it.  Also another great area.

I haven't added any add-ons yet but I did try a few fsx.cfg tweaks like HIGHMEMFIX=1 and WideViewAspect=True (for my 32" wide screen gaming monitor).  Wow what a difference, I never tweaked the .cfg file before.  I'm reading everything I can about possible tweaks to try.  I wanted to try the tweaking first just to see the differences that makes before any addons.  Thank you for the great suggestions.  I really am having lots of fun.  This is bringing back so many memories.  I don't know why I ever stopped.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Glad you liked the flying ideas I gave you.
Yes, load one at a time.
If you fly GA aircraft try the Swiss mountains in winter, you can see the runways of many fields from a long distance and it's fun to land at the various elevation's.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Kalnon Trainee

Swiss mountians sounds like another great location.  I'll try that next.  I did try flying out of Lukla in Nepal cause I wanted to get a look at Mount Everest and the surrounding area  but I can't get off the ground lol.  I crash every time during takeoff, no matter which plane I try with.  Those dang trees at the end of the runway get me every time.  I forgot how difficult that airport is.  I used to be able to do it but I'm pretty rusty now.  Swiss mountians sounds like a much better idea.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If your video card is old that could be the reason that the aircraft won't lift off.
I couldn't get the Antonov 225 off the ground until I bought a stronger (more ram) card.

I liked landing it at Edward's AFB in the Mohave desert.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/3242/fsx-antonov-an-225-mriya-complete/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Kalnon Trainee

Wow that is one sweet plane.  I didn't know it was an addon.  I'm definitely am going to download it.  From what I remember about it, it's the largest plane in the world.  I saw a documentary about it a couple years back.  Edward's AFB is another great idea, beautiful desert area.  Thank you for that.

I don't believe my video card is the issue.  I'm running a Sapphire Pulse RX 590 + Sapphire Pulse RX 580 (both with 8gb vram) in crossfire setup.  Suprisingly though I am having frame rate issues.  I don't understand why with such a powerful setup I'm having frame rate issues.  When I'm taking off from an airport and when I'm in the air and I can see both sky and ground with the whole horizon in view, I'm only getting 10-15 fps.  If I point the plane's nose up to the sky or down where all I can see is the terrain, it jumps to 30 fps or higher.  It seems like FSX isn't taking full advantage of my gpu's capabilities.  With my gpu setup FSX should have no problem with frame rates, even with graphics settings maxed out.  These are about the same frame rates I had back when I ran it using a single R7 240 (2gb vram) gpu.  Keep in mind I haven't added any scenery addons yet.  Do you have any suggestions or possible solutions for fixing frame rate issues, or good articles on the subject I can read?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That aircraft is a beauty.
I'm quite certain that FSX doesn't use Crossfire.
Lock your FPS at 20 and see how that works out.

Read this and see if it's of any help to you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/927286/flight-simulator-x-game-performance-is-slower-than-expected

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/3806/

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...