Optimizing aircraft library loading time?

Pro Member Trainee
adenoma Trainee

Hi all! I've searched quite a bit all over the net for this specific information, but didn't found a precise answer. I have FSX-SE, with quite a number of additional aircraft, majorlly freewares but also a number of payware from Steam, and I started to get increasingly long time to load the aircraft library. Of course I was expecting this, since I don't have a high performance machine (but I got quite a good FPS count during the game). The startup of the game is also slow, but it doesn't bother me. What's is really annoying is the time it's taking to open the aircraft library (over 1~2 minutes everytime). The hard disk is defraged, and a SSD drive is out of question now (specially because of the insufficient size). 

I've done a lot of cleanup, removing aircrafts I didn't use and specially removing liveries/textures I didn't use (I like the quality of the textures of the "megapacks" available, but ended up using like 5 or 6 liveries out of 20, 30...). 

So finally my question: I just deleted the undesired texture folders to reduce the number of options of each aircraft, with the hope of reducing the loading time, but I'm not very happy with the impact. So I have to also edit each aircraft.cfg to remove the liveries from there? I've done that to some, but with no impact as well. So I'm wanting to know what is the logic or path that FSX follows when it try to openthe aircraft library, in attempt to optmize it. Does it search for all the folders and subfolders over the SimObjects folder? Does it inspect each aircraft.cfg everytime? And finally, does it check the status of the purchases each time with Steam?

I even thought about creating two Aircraft folders (like one aircraft-copy foder), one with the ones I use frequently, with very few aircrafts, and one with "the rest", and keep renaming the folder each time I start the game. It's a pain, but anyone ever tried this? I've done this before with other games (like my list of cars from Assetto Corsa) with success.

Sorry for the long message and thanks in advance for the help!

Best regards,

Adriano

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have no experience with what you want to do.
How about cleaning out the registry, maybe that's where your holdup is...just a guess.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...