Using ADF with MSFS 2020

Pro Member Trainee
Reginald Cote (reggie52) Trainee

With all versions of MSFS, I used ADF to fly NDB to NDB. It was easy to use the radio stack and tuned the appropriate frequency. I am not able to do that with 2020. I can't find how to use ADF and tuned frequency with the G1000. I would like also how to hear the NDB's ident?

Any help is welcome.
Reggie

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi Reggie,

It's great to see another flight sim enthusiast interested in utilizing the ADF (Automatic Direction Finder) system for navigating via NDB (Non-Directional Beacon) to NDB in MSFS 2020. Though the process of setting it up with the G1000 avionics suite may not be as straightforward as older versions of MSFS, I'll be glad to help guide you through the process.

To get started with using ADF in MSFS 2020, follow the steps below:

1. First, make sure you have a G1000-equipped aircraft loaded. For this example, let's use the Cessna 172 Skyhawk G1000.
  2. To access the ADF system, locate the PFD (Primary Flight Display) on the left side of the G1000 panel.
  3. On the lower left corner of the PFD, you'll find the Audio Panel with several buttons. Look for the button labeled "ADF" and press it. This will enable the ADF audio reception, allowing you to hear the NDB's ident when properly tuned.
  4. Now, shift your focus to the right side of the G1000 panel, where you'll find the MFD (Multi-Function Display).
  5. On the MFD, locate the FMS (Flight Management System) knobs: the inner FMS knob and the outer FMS knob. You'll use these knobs to navigate the MFD's menus.
  6. Press the outer FMS knob to access the main menu. Using the inner FMS knob, scroll down to highlight the "NRST" (Nearest) option, then press the inner FMS knob to select it.
  7. In the "NRST" menu, use the inner FMS knob to highlight the "NDB" tab, then press the inner FMS knob again to access the list of nearest NDB stations.
  8. Once you've found the desired NDB station, take note of its frequency.

Now that you have the frequency, it's time to tune the ADF:

1. On the MFD, locate the ADF window, which is usually positioned at the bottom of the screen.
  2. Press the ADF button just below the ADF window to access the ADF tuning interface.
  3. Using the FMS knobs, input the desired frequency, then press the inner FMS knob to confirm.
  4. After confirming the frequency, you should see the ADF needle on the PFD's HSI (Horizontal Situation Indicator) pointing towards the NDB station.

With the ADF tuned and the audio enabled, you should now be able to navigate from NDB to NDB, as well as hear the NDB's ident.

I hope this detailed walkthrough helps you get back to navigating with ADF and NDB in MSFS 2020. If you require further assistance, feel free to ask. Enjoy your flights, and happy landings!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...