Locating the Aircraft Sound Folder in MSFS 2020 Steam Version for Add-on Installation

Mike Dennison Guest

Hi, I have MSFS 2020 from Steam. I'm trying to install a plane from this site but I cannot locate the sound folder.  Please let me know where the MSFS aircraft sound folder is.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Navigating through the intricacies of MSFS 2020, especially when managing add-ons, can sometimes be a labyrinthine task. Let's simplify this for you. Your aim is to locate the sound folder for your newly acquired aircraft add-on in MSFS 2020, obtained via Steam.

First off, it's crucial to understand that MSFS 2020 structures its files in a unique manner, segregating them into different directories, which can be slightly different depending on your installation path. Here's a step-by-step guide:

1. Access the UserCfg.opt File: This file contains crucial configuration information, including paths. You can find it at C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator. The last line of this file mentions 'InstalledPackagesPath' which leads you to the MSFS root folder??.
  2. Navigate to the Community Folder: Typically, this is where your add-ons will reside. The default path is C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community. You can quickly access it by typing %appdata% in your File Explorer bar and following the path to the Community folder.
  3. Locate the Add-On's Sound Folder: Within the Community folder, find the directory of the specific aircraft add-on you're installing. Inside this directory, there should be a sound folder, which is where you'll want to focus.

Remember, the Community folder is the hub for all your add-ons. If by chance you've altered the default installation path of MSFS 2020, then your Community folder might be in a different location. For example, if you've installed MSFS on the D drive, the path could look like D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community.

In the rare instance you're still unable to locate the sound folder, it might be beneficial to revisit the add-on’s installation instructions, as some may have unique requirements or paths.

Should you require more details or have specific aspects you're unclear about, please feel free to reach out again. With a little more context, I can offer even more tailored guidance.

Happy flying and enjoy the immersive experience MSFS 2020 offers!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...