Ground Steering With Yoke?

Pro Member Trainee
Steve (LTCSZ) Trainee

Hello: I am using the Alpha Yoke with MS2020…I do not have rudder pedals (Yet!), so I have the “Auto Rudder” set to on…But, this seems to have no effect when trying to steer on the ground…Is there a way I can set my yoke to use the rudder control on the ground to steer? I hope this question is clear and thanks for your help to a new user of MS2020… 

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello,

Welcome to the world of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, and congratulations on acquiring the Alpha Yoke! It's an excellent piece of hardware that will undoubtedly enhance your flight sim experience.

Regarding your question about ground steering with the yoke, I completely understand your situation, and I'm here to help. While the "Auto Rudder" feature is helpful during flight, it doesn't provide much assistance with ground steering, especially when using a yoke without rudder pedals.

To set up your yoke for ground steering, you can configure the yoke's buttons or hat switch for rudder control. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do this:

• Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and navigate to the Options menu.
  • Click on Controls to access the control settings.
  • In the Controls menu, ensure that your Alpha Yoke is selected in the top-left corner drop-down menu.
  • Next, locate the Filter on the top-right corner and select All to display all available control assignments.
  • Use the search bar to find the Rudder Axis (for analog input) or Rudder Left and Rudder Right (for digital input) functions.
  • For the Rudder Axis, you can assign one of your yoke's analog axes (e.g., a lever or knob) to control the rudder. If you prefer digital input, you can assign the Rudder Left and Rudder Right functions to specific buttons or the hat switch on your yoke.
    Note: When you assign the Rudder Left and Rudder Right functions to buttons or the hat switch, you will be using digital input, which means the rudder will move in full left or right increments. This may make precise ground steering challenging.

• After making the necessary assignments, click on Apply & Save to confirm the changes.

Now, you should be able to use the assigned controls on your Alpha Yoke for ground steering in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Keep in mind that while this solution may help you get by without rudder pedals, it's highly recommended to invest in a set of pedals in the future for a more authentic and precise flight experience.

I hope this helps, and I wish you many enjoyable hours flying in the MSFS 2020 skies!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...