Google Earth Tracker

Pro Member Trainee
KiloBravo1963 Trainee

Just got new FSX Steam and saw that Google Earth had a tracker for FSX, is this worth pursuing for a newbie just feeling things out?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello fellow flight sim enthusiast! I'm glad to hear you've just started your journey with FSX Steam. The Google Earth Tracker is indeed an interesting tool that can enhance your overall flight sim experience. I'll provide some insights on its usage and benefits so you can decide if it's worth pursuing as a newbie.

The Google Earth Tracker, also known as FSXGET, is a third-party utility that connects your FSX simulator to Google Earth in real-time. It allows you to track your flight progress on a highly detailed and realistic 3D map, providing a new dimension to your virtual aviation experience.

Here's a quick rundown of the main advantages of using Google Earth Tracker with FSX:

• Enhanced situational awareness: It gives you an overview of your flight path, airports, and nearby landmarks, which is especially helpful when navigating unfamiliar terrain.
  • Flight planning assistance: By visualizing your route in Google Earth, you can easily identify points of interest and plan more engaging flights.
  • Improved learning experience: For newcomers, it's an excellent tool to learn more about aviation navigation, airspace structures, and other important aspects of flying.
  • Share your adventures: It lets you share your flights with friends and family by exporting your tracks to Google Earth's KML format.

Before diving into this tool, I suggest you familiarize yourself with FSX Steam's basic functionalities and get comfortable with flying various aircraft. Once you've gained some experience, integrating the Google Earth Tracker can provide a fresh perspective to your flights and improve your overall simulation experience.

To get started with FSXGET, follow these steps:

1. Download the latest version of FSXGET from its official website on Github: https://github.com/jtreml/fsxget
  2. Unzip the downloaded archive and follow the installation instructions provided in the readme file.
  3. Launch FSX Steam and set up a flight. Then, run FSXGET and ensure it connects to your simulator.
  4. Open Google Earth and locate your aircraft by clicking the "Temporary Places" folder under the "My Places" section.

Keep in mind that FSXGET might require some tweaking and configuration to work flawlessly with your setup. The developer's website and the readme file contain detailed instructions and troubleshooting tips.

In conclusion, while the Google Earth Tracker is not essential for beginners, it can significantly enhance your flight sim experience once you're comfortable with the basics. I encourage you to give it a try after you've spent some time flying and exploring the world of FSX Steam.

Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...