General about FS2020

I have the old FSX, not even sure which edition.   I really enjoy it.  All I want to do is fly occasionally. I have an old Yoke and Thrust Master Joy Stick.  I am interested in getting the new FS2020 but in researching and listening to YouTube videos It sounds complicated.  I have very little computer knowledge.  If it doesn't work call someone.  I am not going to build a room full of flight products and upgrade everything from the factory when I get it.  I just want to purchase it  Download and fly.  Like I did with FSX.  Is the New FS2020 too complicated for an old geezer with little to no computer skills?  It is like I want a cell phone that makes phone calls nothing else.  That is not going to happen.  Would FS2020 be the same situation?  Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You In advance.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
EldadG Trainee

Hello,

I have no experience or knowledge of FSX. I do have deep knowledge of software and computers. I have 50 years of flying experience. To you I may look like an expert, but I knew nothing about flight simulators until a year ago, when I bought X-Plane 11. I knew nothing about MSFS 2020 until November this year, when I started to fly MSFS 2020.
Everything I learned was from few excellent simmers on YouTube - especially from Mark at SimHanger Flight Simulation. Here is a link to one series of his video about MSFS 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSyT1Loyov5iZU38-D8xEwhTyKqES4_e9

Others that I learnde from inlude Russ Barlow, VR Flight Sim Guy and Q8. I'm sure there are many other good channels to help.

Even without any computer knowledge, you can get enough knowledge, with small steps, and really enjoy MSFS 2020 as I do now.

Eldad

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello!

It's great to hear that you've been enjoying FSX and are considering upgrading to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MSFS 2020). Don't worry; it's not as complicated as it might appear at first glance. I'll try to address your concerns and provide some suggestions to help you make a decision.

1. Ease of use: MSFS 2020 is designed to be accessible to a wide range of users, from beginners to experienced simmers. The interface is user-friendly, and the default settings should allow you to start flying without having to tweak a lot of options. It may take a little time to get accustomed to the new interface, but the learning curve shouldn't be too steep.
  2. Hardware compatibility: Your old Yoke and Thrustmaster joystick should be compatible with MSFS 2020, as it supports a wide range of peripherals. You may need to set up the controls in the simulator, but this process is relatively straightforward.
  3. System requirements: MSFS 2020 does have higher system requirements compared to FSX. It would help if you made sure your computer meets the minimum or recommended requirements to run the simulator smoothly. You can find these specifications on the official Microsoft Flight Simulator website.
  4. Installation: Installing MSFS 2020 is quite simple, especially if you purchase it through the Microsoft Store or Steam. The installation process is mostly automated, and you should be able to start flying once it's complete.
  5. Flying without add-ons: MSFS 2020 comes with a vast amount of content out of the box, including highly detailed aircraft, airports, and scenery. You can certainly enjoy the simulator without purchasing additional add-ons or modifications, just like you did with FSX.

In conclusion, MSFS 2020 should not be too complicated for you to enjoy, even with limited computer skills. The simulator is designed to be user-friendly and provides an excellent out-of-the-box experience. Just ensure your computer meets the system requirements, and you should be good to go. Give it a try, and I'm sure you'll love the incredible visuals and realism it offers.

Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...