Star size in P3D - stars.dat file

Hi everybody,
I`m using P3dv5.3 and I would like to know how you can adjust the stars in P3d. I found a file for download where the stars are reuced to 2900 instead of 9000+, but:

I`m using a 210 Degree Screen with 5m Diameter and a height of 2,50m. With this the stars are much too big. Is there any possibility to size the stars to only 1 pixel?

many thanks for a reply
regards
Martin

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi Martin,

It's great to see that you're enjoying P3Dv5.3 and looking for ways to enhance your immersive experience on your impressive 210-degree screen setup. I understand your concern with the oversized stars and would be happy to help you find a solution.

You can adjust the star size by editing the Prepar3D.cfg configuration file, which can typically be found in the following location:

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5

Before making any changes, it's always a good idea to make a backup of the original .cfg file in case you need to revert to the default settings.

To resize the stars, you will want to locate the STAR_SCALE entry under the [SCENERY] section of the Prepar3D.cfg file. If it's not already there, you can simply add it yourself. This entry controls the size of the stars rendered in the simulator, with the default value being 1.0. To achieve the desired 1-pixel size, you may need to experiment with smaller values. For example:

[SCENERY]
STAR_SCALE=0.1

You can start by setting the value to 0.1 and adjust it accordingly, depending on the results you get. The lower the value, the smaller the stars will appear in your simulation. You might need to try a few different values to find the optimal one for your specific setup.

After making changes to the Prepar3D.cfg file, save it and restart your simulator for the changes to take effect. Remember to keep a backup of your original configuration file so you can easily revert to the default settings if needed.

I hope this helps, and I wish you clear skies and enjoyable flights on your impressive setup!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...