MSFS IN MULTISCREEN

GULLIVER Guest

Mr. Stephens thanks a lot for the exhaustive instruction. Unfortunately, I couldn’t go beyond the first step because in my MSFS the command CTRL+ALT+X activates the AI pilot. It surely is a default assignment, since I’ve never changed it (I didn’t even know that command exists!). Should I change the keyboard assignments? What is the description of the command to remove the cockpit from the custom view? Where can I find it? Thank you in advance for your help.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns about multi-screen configuration in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

It seems there is a slight confusion around the keybinding issue. CTRL+ALT+X has indeed been reassigned as a default shortcut to activate the AI pilot, which might be leading to this predicament. This reassignment is likely due to periodic updates by the developers, aimed at improving the overall user experience.

Now, let's address your concerns one by one:

Should I change the keyboard assignments?
In most cases, changing keyboard assignments is necessary to avoid conflicting keybinds (shortcuts or keystrokes associated with certain actions in the simulator). It's advisable to create a custom keybinding profile (a unique set of key assignments specific to a user) that fits your personal flying style.

Here is how to create a custom keybinding profile:

1. Go to Options > Controls > Keyboard.
  2. Click on the Preset Manager (top right of the screen).
  3. Choose Duplicate to make a copy of the default profile.
  4. Rename it as per your preference. You now have a custom profile to modify without affecting the default keybindings.

What is the description of the command to remove the cockpit from the custom view?
The command you're referring to is typically known as "Toggle Cockpit View". This command removes the interior of the cockpit from your custom view, providing an unobstructed outside view of your aircraft.

Where can I find it?
You can find the "Toggle Cockpit View" command in the Camera section of the Controls menu. Please follow the steps mentioned below to reach the command:

Navigate to Options > Controls > Keyboard.
Set your filter to All.
Scroll down or search for the Camera section. You'll find the "Toggle Cockpit View" command there.
Once you've found the command, you can assign it a new keybinding that does not conflict with other commands.

Please remember to save and apply your changes before exiting the menu. Afterwards, test your new keybindings to ensure they're functioning as expected. If any further issues arise, feel free to ask here. This community is always happy to help.

Safe flying!

GULLIVER Guest

Dearest Ian.

Sorry if my English is not perfect, being Italian I use the Google translator. To perform all the steps you indicated to me in a certain way, I modified MSFS in English with extreme precision proceeding EXACTLY step by step as you described.

Unfortunately, I have to inform you that nothing has changed. Now your last words that reaffirm your availability are sweet as honey and that's why I insist on writing to you. I am an old FSX user with great satisfaction and my configuration, as you know, was divided into two separate parts:- On a multiscreen (3 monitors) for the scenario only.- Under a touch-screen for 2D cockpit only.- On the left is a common monitor where I supported PlanG, the flight plan, and the ATC window.

Let's forget for the moment this last monitor where I have now inserted the map, the flight plan, and the ATC window, all from MSFS. Let's focus instead on multiscreen and touch-screen. And let's go back to the origins of the chat. There are two solutions that I want to submit to you:

1) Is it possible not to have the same situation I had with FSX?In some Italian forums, they tell me that "it is not possible".Given your availability and your experience on MSFS, I ask you for a definitive answer: Is it possible or not?

2) If this is not possible (as I fear) I ask you to evaluate this alternative which, for many reasons, could be even better since it is certainly more realistic: obtain two windows with DIFFERENT points of view:- in the multiscreen, the scenario appears through the windshield which is the upper part of the cabin,- the 3D cockpit appears on the touch-screen, which is the lower part of the cabin. This seems to me the best solution so you don't lose those magnificent plays of light that appear on the cockpit during the flight.

At the moment on the upper multiscreen and on the touch screen I see EXACTLY the same image (obviously in the multiscreen you see also the side parts of the scenario).In your opinion, is it nice to be able to fly with the same image on two screens?

If I solve this problem with the second solution I would make a huge step forward in the use of this MSFS which, even with the usual difficulties of new things, is a really wonderful product. Thanks so much, Ian, I hope you can help me.

Thanks, thanks thanks.

Hello from Gulliver.

Pro Member Captain

Dear Gulliver,

Your efforts and patience are indeed commendable. I understand your predicament and appreciate your meticulous efforts to make MSFS 2020 work according to your unique flight setup.

Let's address your queries:

Regarding the possibility of replicating the exact setup you had with FSX in MSFS 2020, I'm afraid that some Italian forums you've consulted might be correct. As of my knowledge, the multi-monitor support in MSFS 2020 does not yet fully parallel the flexibility FSX offered. With FSX, we had the luxury to 'undock' views and drag them to other monitors, making it possible to customize each screen's display to an extent not currently supported in MSFS 2020.

However, this doesn't mean your options are exhausted. The MSFS 2020 development team is actively working to enrich the simulator's features based on community feedback. We can hope for more enhancements to multi-monitor support in future updates.

The alternative option you presented is indeed a plausible and creative approach. Currently, MSFS 2020 does allow setting up different cameras and switching between them, though it's still not as customizable as FSX. Here's how you might approach this:

• Go to Options > General > Camera > Custom Camera Settings.
  • Set up two cameras - one for the outside view (through the windshield) and one for the cockpit.
  • Assign each of these custom cameras to a keybinding for easy switching.

Remember that each camera will maintain its independent perspective (view), but all views will still be bound to the primary monitor. You won't be able to drag them to separate screens, but you can quickly switch between your outside view and cockpit view with the assigned keybindings.

Moreover, I understand your point about having the same image on two screens - it's not an ideal flight simulation scenario. The issue might be related to your GPU's configuration. In some cases, configuring your display settings to "Extend these displays" in your graphics card control panel may fix the duplicate image problem.

Overall, I understand that the current state of MSFS 2020's multi-monitor support may not fulfill all your requirements. Still, I'd like to assure you that the team behind MSFS 2020 is working diligently to improve the simulator, and I hope the steps I provided might offer some level of workaround for your current situation.

Should you run into any more obstacles, please do not hesitate to ask. We're all here to assist one another in this flight simulation journey. Safe skies, Gulliver!

GULLIVER Guest

Dear Ian.
10 years ago I bought FSX.
At the beginning I was inexperienced and there were many problems then, day after day and with the very strong help of a friend I met on the Forum, I learned how to use FSX.
Also, with programs like SketchUp, ADE and PlanG, I was able to build airports, seaplane bases and much more.
Now this MSFS is born which promises beautiful and very realistic scenery graphics.
So I dreamed of being able to travel in this new virtual reality but, for now, I haven't succeeded as I would like.
That's why I turned to this community of yours, hoping to find practical solutions for the only result that I summarize below (I hope you agree with me):
"Flying an airplane (like any other means) means looking at the scenery beyond the windshield and SIMULTANEOUSLY con-rolling the WHOLE cockpit with the possibility of intervening on buttons, switches, instruments and controls".
That's why with FSX I mounted the multiscreen (3 in surround) for the scenario and the touch screen ONLY for the 2D cockpit.
After your answer I followed the procedure step by step unfortunately to no avail.
Like many others, I am now convinced that getting my result NOW IS NOT POSSIBLE, because the time is not ripe and we have to wait for Microsoft to update the system with the 2D cockpit image, something requested by many people.
Thank you very much indeed for your patience and kindness and, above all, your willingness to welcome me into this community.
Bye by Gulliver.

Pro Member Captain

Dear Gulliver,

Thank you once again for your patience and determination in addressing these complex issues. Your enthusiasm for flight simulation, and your willingness to learn and adapt, are commendable. It's clear that you have a deep appreciation for the fine details and possibilities that these programs offer, and it's always a pleasure to assist passionate pilots like you.

You're absolutely right in your summarization. Flying an aircraft is a comprehensive experience, requiring simultaneous attention to both the surrounding scenery and the multifaceted cockpit controls. This dual perspective is part of what makes flight simulation such a rewarding and immersive endeavor.

Regarding the possibility of a 2D cockpit in MSFS 2020, it is currently not part of the features set offered. Microsoft has indeed shifted its focus towards 3D virtual cockpits, aiming to provide a more immersive and realistic experience. That being said, it is understood that this may not meet the preferences or needs of all users.

Your feedback is incredibly valuable, as it contributes to the collective voice of the flight sim community. This community input is a crucial component for the ongoing development and improvement of MSFS 2020. The good news is that Asobo Studio, the developer of MSFS 2020, has consistently shown willingness to listen to user feedback and implement changes accordingly.

While waiting for potential updates to meet your specific needs, there are still ways to make the most out of the current system. For instance, you might consider investing in a physical control panel (like the Saitek Pro Flight Switch Panel or similar) to bring a tactile aspect to your flight experience. This would allow you to interact with switches, buttons, and controls in a way that could compensate for the current limitations of the touch-screen 2D cockpit.

Finally, I'd like to acknowledge the important role FSX played in your journey. FSX offered a rich and customizable platform that catered to a wide range of users' preferences. It remains a beloved installment in the flight sim community, and the knowledge and skills you've gained from your experience with FSX will undoubtedly serve you well in MSFS 2020.

I want to assure you, Gulliver, that the flight sim community is here for you. Your exploration and discovery of the world through MSFS 2020 are important to us all, and we'll continue to offer our support and assistance where we can.

Thank you for being a part of this journey, and I look forward to seeing how your experiences with MSFS 2020 continue to unfold.

Blue skies.

GULLIVER Guest

Great Ian.
Your words are sweet as honey to me and I am flattered that you can even assign me the role of “consultant” for simulators…
In reality my "complaint" is only a cry in the desert and I am perfectly aware that my voice will be lost.
However, I believe that Microsoft, instead of "rebuilding" the flight program from scratch, could have evolved its MSFS starting from FSX, a program that I believe is now consolidated over time and very close to perfection.
MSFS is a product that is put on the market very prematurely and incompletely, so it appeared to me as a big, very showy "toy" but with little content.
Beautiful mountains, lakes and rivers and perfectly designed clouds, but absolutely incomplete from an urban point of view.
For example, many famous monuments are missing which are instead present in the Google Earth scenarios.
Can I think of buying everything as an addon?
A very dear flying friend of mine (my teacher who supported me in many years of FSX) accused me of being "presumptuous". In truth I am just very disappointed.
Thanks anyway for your patience and availability, dear Ian; I confess that the best part of this experience with MSFS was the possibility of meeting you in this chat.
A warm hug from Gulliver.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...