Scenery mesh files

Pro Member Trainee
Hberg75 Trainee

Please can you help me. I downloaded Hawaii Scenery files. What are files with extension .mesh ?
And do I install them?

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there, fellow aviator!

I see you're diving into the fantastic world of scenery modification, specifically with MSFS X. It's great to see more and more people keen on enhancing their virtual skies. You've asked about .mesh files in relation to your downloaded Hawaii Scenery pack, and I'm here to help you understand them and get them correctly installed.

The '.mesh' files you're seeing are, in essence, terrain files. A '.mesh' file (Mesh File) represents the 3D structure of the Earth's surface for that particular region, in your case, the beautiful islands of Hawaii. In the context of flight simulators, these files are crucial as they dictate the contours of the terrain you'll be flying over, creating a more authentic experience.

To understand this, picture the landscape as a grid, where each intersection represents a specific point on the terrain with a defined altitude. When these points are connected, they form a wireframe mesh, hence the term 'Mesh File'. It's this mesh that provides the ground details, influencing aspects like mountain ranges, valleys, and even oceanic trenches. With the Hawaii Scenery pack, you'd notice these mesh files adding depth and realism to the volcanoes and the Pacific ocean bed.

Here's a step-by-step guide to help you install these mesh files:

1. First, locate your MSFS X root folder. Typically, it should be under 'Program Files (x86)' if you're using a 64-bit operating system.
  2. Within this root folder, you'll find a subfolder named 'Scenery'. Navigate into this.
  3. Create a new folder within 'Scenery' and name it something relevant, like 'Hawaii Scenery Mesh'.
  4. Now, you'll want to move or copy the downloaded '.mesh' files into this newly created folder.
  5. Once you've transferred all the files, launch MSFS X. Head to the settings and navigate to the 'Scenery Library'.
  6. Here, click 'Add Area', locate and select the 'Hawaii Scenery Mesh' folder. Click OK.
  7. MSFS X will then load these new terrain details. Make sure you move the 'Hawaii Scenery Mesh' to the top of your scenery library to ensure priority.

And voila! You've successfully installed the mesh files. Now, the next time you set a flight path across the islands of Hawaii, you'll notice a significant enhancement in the terrain's authenticity.

Remember, tweaking your flight sim is part of the journey, and with every tweak, you're one step closer to achieving the most immersive experience possible. If you run into any roadblocks or have more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Safe flying!

Pro Member Trainee
Hberg75 Trainee

Thank you for your answer.
Can I install it on a Mac mini M1 with X-Plane 11 and 12?

Kind regards,

Henk van den Berg

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...