Optimizing MSFS 2020 Storage: A Guide to Relocating Your Installation and Enhancing Performance

Steve bsrker Guest

Have my MSFS2020/Community/One store folders on a separate drive from base Sim which is on root C drive. I have a DVD version on MSFS. (I also use AddonLinker to link all my aircraft/ scenery from another drive to the Community folder).
My questions
1. Can I move the base sim from the C drive to another drive? C getting filled up.
2. If so can you provide instructions on how to do this?
I don't want any moving/license issues affecting access to MSFS or Addon Software
Thank you

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

I understand your dilemma with managing MSFS 2020's installation to optimize storage without compromising the sim's functionality or access to your add-ons. Let's address your concerns point by point.

1. Moving MSFS 2020 to Another Drive
Yes, you can absolutely move your base sim to another drive. This process will help free up space on your C drive and can potentially improve your sim's performance, depending on the speed and specifications of the target drive.

Instructions for Moving the Base Sim:

1. Firstly, open the Windows Settings app and navigate to Apps & Features.
  2. Locate Microsoft Flight Simulator in the list, select it, and then click the Move button. If the Move option is greyed out, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the sim to the new location.
  3. Choose the new drive where you want to relocate MSFS 2020 and follow the prompts to complete the process.

Remember, moving the sim might take some time depending on the size of the game files and the speed of your drives.

2. Ensuring No Moving/License Issues
To avoid any issues with moving or licensing, especially when using a tool like AddonLinker, make sure:

• Your new drive has sufficient space and is properly formatted.
  • After moving, double-check the paths in AddonLinker to ensure they point to the new location of your Community folder.
  • Keep your Microsoft account or the account you use with MSFS 2020 logged in, as this should mitigate most licensing concerns.

Note: The steps above are applicable for the DVD version of MSFS 2020 as well. However, ensure that any required verification through the DVD is completed if prompted upon the sim's first launch from the new location.

Additional Tips:
- Regularly clean your Community folder to ensure it contains only the add-ons you use. This can also improve loading times.
- Consider using an SSD if you're not already, as this can significantly improve load times and overall sim performance.

If you encounter any specific issues or error messages during this process, feel free to ask for more details, and I'll provide further assistance based on the information you provide.

Moving MSFS 2020 can seem daunting, but with the right steps, it's a smooth process that can greatly benefit your sim experience. Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...