Why is the MSFS Install Downloading at a Sluggish Rate?

James Jackson Guest

Recently, I decided to delve into the world of aviation simulation and picked up the Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020 release. Before I could soar the skies virtually, I faced a hiccup: the download process. Specifically, I've observed that my download speeds for this game are unusually slow.

Are there common factors that play a role here? I've heard mentions of data server loads, the sheer volume of high-quality assets (such as topographical maps, aircraft models, and real-time weather data), or perhaps the bandwidth of my own ISP being potential culprits. And, while we're at it, does the platform (like Steam or Microsoft Store) influence the speed? Lastly, are there any known tweaks or optimizations within the MSFS settings or elsewhere to expedite the process?

Thanks in advance for shedding light on this topic. Hoping to get airborne soon!

P.S. For context, other game or software downloads on my system generally proceed at a brisk pace. This makes me curious if the MSFS 2020 release has specific quirks related to its massive data files or server connections.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Firstly, welcome to the captivating world of flight simulation! It's always a pleasure to see a fresh enthusiast. I totally comprehend your eagerness to get started, but let's delve into your quandary.

1. Server Load and Data Volume: Microsoft Flight Simulator, given its massive popularity, often sees surges in download traffic. This can cause strain on the data servers, leading to slower download speeds. Furthermore, as you rightly pointed out, the sheer volume of high-quality assets like topographical maps, aircraft models, and real-time weather data make the total download package quite sizeable. The more intricate and detailed the simulator, the larger the download.

2. Platform Variation: Whether you've chosen Steam or Microsoft Store can indeed play a role. While both platforms are reputable, sometimes updates, server issues, or regional bandwidth allocations can impact speeds. It's always a good idea to check their respective forums or support channels for any ongoing issues.

3. Your Own ISP: While you mentioned that other software and game downloads are quick, remember that the size and server source of MSFS can challenge even the best ISPs. You might want to consider testing your connection during non-peak hours or reaching out to your ISP to see if there are any limitations on their end.

4. Optimizations & Tweaks:

• Ensure that background applications or other downloads aren't consuming bandwidth.
  • Using a wired connection over Wi-Fi might enhance speeds.
  • Within MSFS, there isn’t a direct setting to boost download speed, but it's crucial to ensure your firewall or antivirus isn’t slowing the process. Whitelisting MSFS might help.
  • On rare occasions, restarting the download or the platform itself can nudge the speed along.

Lastly, it might just be a waiting game. The anticipation of flying virtually can be immense, but once MSFS is up and running, the immersion and experience will more than compensate for the wait.

Wishing you clear skies and smooth flights! Remember, the journey in the flight sim world is as rewarding as the destination.

P.S. If you happen to explore X-Plane 12, you might find certain nuances there as well, but the factors influencing download speeds are generally consistent across platforms. Safe flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...