Troubleshooting Missing UK Piers: How to Properly Install Scenery Upgrades in MSFS 2020

Pro Member Trainee
sterk03 Trainee

Ok, I installed the MSFS2020 missing UK Piers scenery upgrade from Fly Away, and still missing Piers. Now I probably did something wrong as I'm new to MSFS 2020. I extracted the file and then put that folder into the community folder and that is what I thought the instructions said to do. Now does the folder have to be opened showing all the individual piers and then pasted into the community folder is this where I went wrong?   The only other thing I can think of is I installed MSFS 2020 in D, not the C o system but I believe the path to the community was also in D but getting there is different than the usual path shown for C drive, could this be an issue?

I flew on the southern coast of the UK from LYDD to the west past Shoreham and towards the Isle of Wight but only one pier showed this side of Eastbourne and IT was the Hastings I believe or the Eastbourne Pier... There should have been at least 5 Piers on that flight.

Any info on my installation would be appreciated.

Sterk03

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi Sterk03,

It sounds like you've run into a common hiccup with the installation process for custom scenery in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Let's try to troubleshoot this together and get those missing piers to appear in your simulation.

First, it's important to ensure that the folder structure within your Community folder is correct. When you extract the scenery files, you should see a single folder that encapsulates all the necessary subfolders and files. This parent folder is what you need to move into your Community folder.

Here's a step-by-step guide to ensure everything is in place:

1. Double-check the zip file you downloaded for the UK Piers package. It should contain a single folder with a name related to the piers.
  2. Extract this folder directly into your Community folder. The path to the Community folder in your D drive should be similar to D:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21...\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightDashboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
  3. After placing the folder, there's no need to open it or move individual files around inside your Community directory.

You mentioned installing MSFS on your D drive, which is perfectly fine. The key is making sure that the path you use to drop the scenery files corresponds to where MSFS is actually looking for them. Sometimes, custom installation paths can confuse the process, especially if your simulator is looking for files in a default location.

Here's what you can do to verify your path settings:

• Within MSFS, go to Options > General > Developers and turn on the Developer Mode.
  • This will add a new top menu where you can select Tools and then Virtual File System.
  • Here, you can see the actual directories your simulator monitors for community content.

If the folder is in the right place, and you still don't see the piers, consider clearing your MSFS cache. Sometimes the sim holds onto old data, preventing new installations from appearing immediately.

Lastly, make sure that your MSFS is fully updated. Outdated versions might not properly handle newly added mods.

If you've double-checked everything and the issue persists, it might be a good idea to re-download the Missing UK Piers package to ensure the file wasn't corrupted during download.

Flying from LYDD past Shoreham should definitely reveal more piers, and if they're still missing, it could be a more complex issue with the installation path or the files themselves.

Feel free to follow up if you need more detailed assistance or if there’s something specific you’re unsure about. We’re here to help!

Clear skies and smooth flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...