Flight Level Help

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi,

Can anyone explain the Flight Levels system to me ❓
I always get this question wrong for the VA I fly for. I thought it was odd numbered flight levels for westbound and even numbers for eastbound, but obviously this is wrong.

Provide at least three proper flight levels above FL180 for a Westbound IFR flight?

FL210, FL230, FL250

Thanks a lot

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Flight levels are altitudes at and above 18000'. The proper flt levels westbound are 20-22-24-26-28-31-35-39-43 this in thousands of feet, eastbound levels are 19-21-23-25-27-33-37-41-45 You'll notice that 29 was excluded because up until recently 29000' was unavailable for use. That being said The FAA has just reduced the min alt separation from 2000' to 1000' This is due primarily to the increased accuracy of current day altimeters. Until about 5-10 years ago altimeter accuracy was problematic above about 30000' For this reason the FAA decided that a 2000' separation was the safest way to deal with the problem.

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

Also, if you own any high altitude enroute charts, they give you the proper flight level on the back

PH. Guest

Just to add FL's in the UK are not from 18,000ft. Depends on the transition alt so FL50 even FL45 is possible.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Thanks a lot for your replies guys 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...