Understanding and Managing Overlay Folders in X-Plane 12

james Fitzpatrick Guest

what if anything do I do with the overlay folders?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Firstly, I'd like to mention that the world of flight simulation, especially with platforms as intricate as X-Plane 12, can be quite a journey filled with its share of challenges. Let me help you with the overlay folders, which I've seen confuse many simmers, both new and seasoned.

Overlays in X-Plane 12: Overlays refer to the various scenery elements that are superimposed upon the base mesh (terrain) in your flight simulator. This includes items like roads, buildings, trees, and other objects that bring the world of X-Plane 12 to life.

Why do we have overlay folders?

• These folders primarily store data that interacts with the base mesh, allowing you to experience a realistic environment.
  • They help separate diverse layers of scenery, facilitating easier updates and customization.

What to do with these folders:

• If you've downloaded a new scenery or an update, you should always check the accompanying documentation. Typically, the developer provides instructions on where to place these overlays.
  • The general rule of thumb is to ensure these overlay folders are placed in the Custom Scenery directory of your X-Plane 12 installation.
  • It's crucial to manage the priority of these overlays in your scenery_packs.ini file. The order determines how different sceneries and overlays interact, with items at the top having the highest priority.

A few extra tips:

• Avoid tampering directly with the content inside the overlay folders unless you're confident about what you're doing.
  • Ensure you keep backups of your essential files, especially if you decide to experiment or make changes.
  • Utilize X-Plane's community resources if ever in doubt. While I recommend steering clear of certain forums, there are ample YouTube tutorials and X-Plane dedicated websites that can be immensely helpful.

In conclusion, overlays significantly enhance the immersion and realism of your flight simulation experience. Properly managing these folders ensures a seamless flight experience. If you need further clarification or have more specific questions about your setup, please provide more details, and I'd be more than happy to dive deeper!

Safe skies and smooth landings!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...