Troubleshooting Dual Monitor FPS Drop with High-End Specs in MSFS 2020

Pro Member Trainee
Buddyslick Trainee

Hi all. I've hooked up another monitor and my FPS tanks to 20 fps when the 2nd monitor fires up.

I'm running an i9 processor...32 gigs of ddr5 ...and a Raedon 12 gig card. I've tried all the usual fixes...like...lower from ultra to high-end...etc...lowering the number of boats...cars...etc. changed rendering to 70%... can't get better than 26 fps.

Both TVs are set to default settings...3840×2160. Should the 2nd monitor be set to lower res? There are so many settings you can change..including the video card settings...v-sync....anti aliasing...I thought a 12-gig video card should be able to run 2 monitors with at least 30 fps.

There are so many videos on YouTube...I just can't get it successfully to 30+ fps. Any help is appreciated.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Firstly, I genuinely appreciate the technical details you've provided regarding your setup; it paints a clear picture. Running a dual-monitor setup in any simulator can be quite demanding, especially if both are at such a high resolution as 3840×2160. Now, let's delve into the probable causes and potential solutions:

1. Video Memory (VRAM): Even though you have a 12-gig Raedon card, remember that MSFS 2020, especially at high settings and resolutions, can be a real VRAM hog. When you add a second monitor, the VRAM demand increases. You might be nearing the limit of what your card can handle.

2. Resolution: If both monitors are running at 3840×2160, the GPU has to render a massive number of pixels. Consider temporarily reducing the resolution of the second monitor to see if there's an immediate improvement in FPS. If there's a considerable bump, then you've found a significant part of the issue.

3. Graphics Card Settings: Ensure that settings in the AMD software, like Super Resolution, are not causing conflicts. Also, double-check that the v-sync and anti-aliasing settings align with what you've set in the simulator.

4. Undocked Windows: If you're using the second monitor for undocked panels or views in the simulator, remember that this demands additional processing power. Perhaps try without any undocked views and check performance.

5. Optimization: While it's tempting to have everything on ultra, especially with the rig you have, sometimes it's about finding a balance. I'd suggest starting with settings at medium and then gradually increasing them while observing FPS until you find a balance of quality and performance that suits you.

6. Drivers: It's a basic recommendation, but ensure your GPU drivers are up-to-date. Manufacturers regularly release updates that can bring optimizations, especially for demanding software like MSFS 2020.

7. Background Applications: Ensure no resource-hogging applications are running in the background. Even with your impressive i9 and 32 gigs of DDR5, rogue applications can sometimes play spoilsport.

Lastly, I'd like to commend your efforts in trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own. The flight simming community is vast, and while there's a plethora of YouTube videos, sometimes a bit of personal touch and expert advice can go a long way. I hope some of these tips help you find a solution. If you could provide more details on specific in-sim settings and any other external applications you might be running, I'd be more than happy to assist further.

Pro Member Trainee
Buddyslick Trainee

Thank you Ian...for your time and suggestions ?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...