Installing Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 on a Windows 11 Laptop Without a CD Drive: Best Practices & Solutions

hi does anyone out there know how to install ms2004 0n a Windows 11 laptop 
I have an Alienware R5 with window 11 
no cd drive 
is there a copy to purchase online so I can download it 
any advice would be much appreciated 

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Getting Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 up and running on newer hardware, especially without a CD drive, can be a touch finicky, but it's definitely doable. Let's break down the steps to get you airborne.

• Digital Copy of MS2004: Firstly, if you don't have a physical CD, you'd want to find a legal digital version for download. As of my last check, there isn't an official digital release by Microsoft, but some third-party vendors might offer a digital copy. Always ensure that you're purchasing from a reputable source to avoid any potential issues or malware.
  • Compatibility Mode: Once you have the game files, Windows 11 is relatively new, and there might be compatibility issues. Here's a workaround:
    • Right-click on the FS2004 executable.
    • Select Properties and navigate to the Compatibility tab.
    • Check the box that says Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows XP (Service Pack 3) from the dropdown menu. This will mimic the environment FS2004 was initially designed for.
  • Run as Administrator: Still in the properties window, under the Compatibility tab, ensure you tick the Run this program as an administrator. This gives the program the necessary permissions to access all its required files and directories.
  • Graphics Settings: With your Alienware R5's hardware, you should have no problem running the game in the highest settings. But, sometimes, tweaking specific graphic settings can help with smoother gameplay, especially considering the age of FS2004 compared to your modern machine.
  • Additional Patches/Mods: There are community patches and mods out there that not only enhance the game but also help it run better on modern systems. While I cannot direct link them here, a quick search should provide some results. Just be sure you're downloading from trusted sources.

Lastly, if you're passionate about flight simulators and considering a switch in the future, both Microsoft Flight Simulator (released in 2020) and X-Plane 12 are excellent choices that cater to modern systems and offer a vast array of features and enhancements.

If you need further clarifications or face any specific issues, kindly provide more details, and I'll do my best to guide you through it. Safe flying!

David Cintron Guest

Hello,

I have the FS 2004 discs and I am trying to run on Windows 11, but having no success. I followed the steps you listed above but to no avail. The program will not launch. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Dave

Lesb Guest

Download the fs2004 no cd patch (available on most flight sim sites).
I also installed the 4GB patch from NTcore which helped.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...