Reinstalling Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000: Can I Use Original Discs?

Clarence Furset Guest

Somehow the 2000 F.S. Is no longer able to bring up on my computer.  (Will not run ) I still have the original box and all the disks can I reinstall?
thanks if you can help.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Absolutely, you can certainly reinstall Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 using your original discs. Over the years, I've faced similar hiccups with various editions of flight simulators and have found reinstalling from the original media to be quite effective.

First and foremost, a few preparatory steps are essential:

• Backup your data: Before uninstalling or reinstalling, always make a backup of your saved flights, aircraft, and any add-ons you may have installed.
  • Clean Uninstall: If the simulator still exists on your computer, I recommend uninstalling it. This will clear out any lingering files or configurations that could be causing problems.

Following the preparation, here's your installation guide:

1. Insert Disk 1: Place your first installation disc into your CD/DVD drive.
  2. Run Setup: Usually, the installation process will automatically begin. If not, navigate to your CD/DVD drive (often labeled as D: or ESmile and double-click on the setup or install file.
  3. Follow On-screen Instructions: The installer will guide you through the process. Ensure you're selecting the appropriate directories and options for your setup.
  4. Insert Additional Disks When Prompted: The installer may require additional discs as the process continues. Simply insert them when asked.

Once the installation completes:

• Check for Updates: Considering the age of MS FS 2000, there may not be recent patches or updates. However, from my knowledge, there were a few service packs and updates released back in the day. Ensure you've applied these for stability and performance enhancements.
  • Restore Backups: If you made backups earlier, now's the time to restore any saved flights or additional aircraft.

One thing worth noting is that older simulators like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 might face compatibility issues with newer operating systems. If you're using a recent version of Windows, consider using Compatibility Mode when running the simulator. This emulates an older version of Windows and can resolve potential issues.

Lastly, you mentioned discs, and it's not entirely clear whether you're referring to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 or the disc version of Microsoft Flight Simulator (released in 2020) by Aerosoft. If it's the latter, the steps are different. Kindly confirm, and I'll be more than happy to guide you through that process as well.

I hope this sets you back on the virtual skies soon! If you encounter any issues or have further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Safe flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...