How long does it take to download MSFS? It's taking forever!

Charlie Sherringham Guest

Okay, so I've leaped and purchased a digital copy of the new simulator from a gift card I received over Xmas.  However, after going through all of the hoops I've managed to get the download started but it's taking an AGE!  How long on average will the download take during the installation?  I have fast fiber to the premises internet with a speed test showing ~900Mbps.  Is the limitation on Microsoft's end?  Perhaps it's busy because of the holiday period?  Please let me know the estimated download/install times.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

First off, congratulations on diving into the world of Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). It's a truly immersive experience, albeit a bit hefty on the download side. Your question about download durations is a common one, especially given the simulator's extensive content.

Let's dissect this:

1. Download Time Factors: The time it takes to download MSFS varies based on several factors:
    • Internet Speed: Although you have a robust fiber connection, real-world speeds can fluctuate. Your 900Mbps is impressive, but various factors like network congestion and throttling can impact it.
    • Server Load: Microsoft's servers might be under heavy load, especially during peak times or holidays. This can slow down the download process significantly.
    • Installation Size: MSFS is a massive game, with a size that can exceed 100GB. This sheer volume naturally requires more time to download.
  2. Average Download Duration: Given your internet speed, under optimal conditions, the download could take a couple of hours. However, with potential server-side constraints, it might take longer.
  3. Tips to Speed Up the Process:
    • Ensure no other significant downloads or streaming services are running concurrently.
    • Restart your router to refresh your connection.
    • Connect via Ethernet rather than Wi-Fi for a more stable connection.
    • If possible, download during off-peak hours.
  4. Additional Considerations: Keep in mind that post-download, installation and updates might also take a significant amount of time. Patience is key here.

In conclusion, the download duration for MSFS can be quite variable. It's not just about your connection speed but also external factors like server load. Utilize the tips above to potentially speed up the process. Happy flying!

Feel free to ask if you need more specifics or have other queries!

the person in here Guest

A Week

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...