Integrating Classic CH Products Flight Controls with Modern Flight Simulators

bamber2 Guest

Hello.
I played around with MSFS about thirty years ago.  I was sufficiently keen to buy CH Products' Flightstick, throttle, and pedals.  Of course, they all connected through a game port.
Now in my retirement, I fancy returning to flight simulators.  This is not a 'cost no object' project.  (I'm building a PC that somewhat exceeds the FS2020 intermediate requirements, not a 'fast as possible' gaming PC.)  The thing is that I still have my old CH Products controls, so my question is, can I use them provided I include a game port in my PC build?  I'm assuming that for a game port card that I can install Windows 10 has drivers, but can FS2020 use that peripheral?
Thanks for reading.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

It's fantastic to see your renewed interest in flight simulators, especially with the classic CH Products' Flightstick, throttle, and pedals. Let me dive into your query regarding the integration of these vintage peripherals with modern flight simulator setups.

Key Points to Consider:

1. Game Port to USB Conversion: Modern PCs, including your planned build, generally lack the traditional game port. To connect your CH Products controls, you'll need a game port to USB adapter. These adapters convert the older signal type to something a USB port can understand.
  2. Driver Compatibility: While Windows 10 is quite adept at recognizing a wide range of hardware, the specificity of your CH Products might require additional steps. Once you have your game port to USB adapter, Windows should recognize the devices. However, you might need to scout for drivers that are compatible with Windows 10.
  3. Flight Simulator Compatibility: Both Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and X-Plane 12 are designed to support a wide array of controls, including older hardware. Once Windows recognizes your CH Products controls via the USB adapter, these simulators should allow you to map and calibrate them within their settings.
  4. Calibration: Calibration is crucial. Given the age of your peripherals, it's vital to ensure they are accurately calibrated within Windows. This process ensures that your inputs are correctly interpreted by the simulator.
  5. Community Support: The flight simulator community is a treasure trove of knowledge. Many enthusiasts have faced similar challenges and can offer invaluable advice. Forums specific to flight simming can be a great resource.
  6. Backup Plan: If, for any reason, the old controls don't work out, there are budget-friendly modern alternatives. Brands like Logitech offer entry-level flight sticks and pedals that won't break the bank.

In conclusion, with a bit of tweaking and the right adapters, your classic CH Products controls can certainly be a part of your modern flight sim setup. It's a great way to blend the nostalgia of your early simming days with the advanced features of today's simulators. Enjoy your return to the virtual skies!

If you need further details or encounter specific issues during setup, feel free to ask. Happy flying!

Note: As always, ensure your PC build meets or exceeds the recommended specifications for the best experience in FS2020 and X-Plane 12.

bamber2 Guest

Thanks for your advice, Ian.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...