MSFS Keeps Crashing - Solution?

James Smith Guest

Over and over, the simulator keeps crashing on me and I can't figure out why.  I've updated the game and updated graphics drivers and still, it crashes and I can't figure out why.  Using Windows 11 (with all updates applied).  Any guidance or explanations (or fixes) will be welcomed.  Many thanks, James.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello James,

I understand the frustration that comes with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 crashing, especially when you've ensured that your game and graphics drivers are up to date. Let's delve into some potential solutions that might resolve this issue.

1. System Requirements: First, ensure your PC meets the minimum system requirements for MSFS 2020. This includes checking your CPU, RAM, OS, Video Card, Shader version, and available disk space.
  2. Increase Virtual Memory: Sometimes, enhancing your system's virtual memory can stabilize the game. Access System Properties (Win + R, type 'sysdm.cpl'), go to Advanced settings, and under Performance, select 'Settings'. In the Performance Options, navigate to the Advanced tab and adjust the virtual memory to 1.5 to 3 times your physical memory.
  3. Verify Game Files: For Steam users, right-click on MSFS 2020 in your Library, select Properties, go to Local Files, and use the 'Verify integrity of game files' option. This ensures all game files are correctly installed.
  4. Change Power Plan: A high-performance power plan might stabilize MSFS 2020. Access Power Options (Win + R, type 'powercfg.cpl'), and set your plan to High Performance.
  5. Disable Air Traffic In-Game: Occasionally, in-game settings like air traffic can cause instability. Try disabling this feature within the game's Traffic settings.
  6. Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable: Installing or updating the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable can solve compatibility issues. Download it from Microsoft's official website.
  7. Community Folder: If your game crashes after an update, navigate to the Community folder (path varies based on installation) and clear its contents.
  8. Update Graphics Drivers: Outdated drivers can cause crashes. Update your graphics drivers through Device Manager (Win + R, type 'devmgmt.msc').
  9. Windows Updates: Make sure your Windows 11 is up-to-date. Access Windows Update settings (Win + I) and check for any pending updates.
  10. Configure Firewall Settings: Ensure MSFS 2020 is allowed through your firewall. Access Windows Defender Firewall settings and allow the game.
  11. Close Background Applications: Running applications in the background can consume resources. Ensure that only MSFS 2020 is running when you play.
  12. Minimize Game Settings: If you're on a lower-end PC, reducing the game's graphical settings can improve stability.

Remember, these solutions are not exclusive to MSFS 2020 and can be applied to other flight simulator platforms like X-Plane 12, provided they are relevant to the issue at hand.

If these steps don’t resolve the issue, you might want to consider more specific diagnostics. Feel free to provide more details, such as specific error messages or behaviors observed during crashes, for more targeted advice.

Safe flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...