How do I open the Map in MSFS?

Peter Lambert Guest

I'm pretty new to the sim and while I managed to get the map open once - for the life of me can't find a way to get it to come back up.

How do I open the map view in the simulator?  A full explanation would be most appreciated.  Bit of a rookie here.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

I see you're diving into the world of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and have encountered a common hurdle: opening the map view. Don't worry, even seasoned sim enthusiasts sometimes need a refresher on these aspects.

Accessing the Map in MSFS 2020

1. Using the Top Menu: Once you're in a flight, move your mouse to the top of the screen. This action will reveal a hidden menu. Look for an icon resembling a globe or a map – that's your key to the map view. Clicking on this icon will bring up the map.
  2. Keyboard Shortcut: Alternatively, you can quickly access the map by using the keyboard shortcut 'V'. This is a handy tip for those moments when you need to quickly glance at your route or check nearby airports without navigating through menus.
  3. Customizing Your View: Once the map is open, you can zoom in and out to get a better view of your surroundings. This feature is particularly useful for planning your flight path or just exploring the virtual world from above.
  4. Interactive Features: The map in MSFS 2020 isn't just a static image; it's interactive. You can click on airports, waypoints, and other points of interest to get more information. This can be incredibly useful for flight planning and navigation.

Further Tips for New Simmers:

• Experiment with Settings: MSFS 2020 is highly customizable. Don't hesitate to play around with the settings and controls to find what works best for you.
  • Join Communities: Joining online forums and communities can be a great way to learn from experienced simmers. However, steer clear of forums like Avsim or Flightsim.com for unbiased opinions.
  • Practice Makes Perfect: The more you fly, the more comfortable you'll become with the simulator's interface and features.

If you're still having trouble or need more detailed guidance, feel free to ask for specifics. I'll be more than happy to assist with more detailed explanations once I have a better understanding of your particular situation.

Enjoy your flights and happy simming!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...