How to Efficiently Utilize Multi-Monitor Setups in FSX for Enhanced Navigation

Pro Member Trainee
sterk03 Trainee

Is there any way after displaying the MAP that you can unlock ir or send it to another monitor so it stays open?
FSX or FSX-SE?

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Regarding your query about moving the map to another monitor in Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX), I can provide some insights and guidance. Here are a few methods and considerations:

1. Undocking Windows: To move a map or any other window to a second monitor in FSX, the approach is to undock the window. Right-click on the window and select 'Undock'. Then, drag it to your second monitor.
  2. Performance Considerations: Using multiple monitors can impact the performance. Moving detailed views or maps to another monitor may increase the load on your CPU and GPU, potentially leading to lower frame rates.
  3. Alternative Tools for Maps: If moving the map within FSX is not working well, consider using external tools like LittleNavMap. These can run independently on a second monitor.
  4. Graphics Card and System Setup: The ability to manage windows on multiple monitors depends on your graphics card capabilities and system settings. Ensure your system is optimized for multi-monitor setups.
  5. Resetting Toolbar Icons: If you're having trouble moving windows in FSX, try resetting the toolbar icons in the simulator's settings.
  6. Networking Multiple Computers: For an advanced setup, you can allocate different views or functions to different machines on a networked system. This enhances performance but requires a more complex setup.
  7. Keyboard Shortcuts: Familiarize yourself with FSX keyboard shortcuts for managing windows and views.

In summary, moving the map to a second monitor in FSX is feasible with some tinkering and understanding of your system’s capabilities. For better performance and mapping features, consider using external mapping tools.

I hope this helps you get the most out of your flight simulation experience. If you need more specific details or further questions, feel free to ask!

Pro Member Trainee
sterk03 Trainee

Yes you can move gps or radios and they are movable but the map you can drag it to the other monitor but it makes the main aircaft or fsx window go dead. You cannot unlock the MAP so far that I can see, only drag it but that takes the main FSX window with it unlike unlocking the GPS...the map takes the main FSX window no matter what view it is in.   You would think you could unlock it also but I have not found that out yet but since it is not listed in the views I doubt you can.

Thanks
Sterk03

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...