DonWood or someone like him, another q for u

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Which weather conditions require the use of Autoland, it's CATII right?

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Don Wood Guest

I'm not an airline pilot so I can't help you with that one. I felt really up-to-date when I was able to graduate from hand flying approaches to getting an airplane that actually had an auotpilot. BTW, both I and my instructor recommend never using an autopilot until you are completely competent hand flying the approach. It should be a workload reducing tool, not a crutch for lack of skill. Even with the autopilot, I still hand fly approaches at least once a month to maintain currency and competency.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

It all depends on the whether the aircraft and the airport are equipped with the necessary equipment when it comes to autoland capability. (pilots must also be current)
Each runways ILS Radio Signal is given a category depending on its quality. The better the quality the higher the category. The best being Cat 3C. The worst Cat 1
A Cat 1 ILS is not Autoland approved. Only Cat 2 and 3 allow aircraft to Autoland and then all autopilots must be working this gives a fail safe backup.
For a pilot to be able to make an approach to a runway the weather has to be at or above certain conditions depending on the CAT number of the ILS.
A table below gives these conditions

CAT 1 CAT 2 CAT 3 A CAT3 B CAT 3C
Minimum Visibility in Metres 800 M 400 M 200 M 50 M 0 M
Decision Height in feet 200 FT 100 FT 0FT 0 FT 0 FT

Even if the AC was CAT 3 equipped and the airport was CAT1 you would need 800m Vis.
Hope this helps

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...