What is the difference between Fs2002 and Fs2004?

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

I own a copy of FS2002 and will soon be buying FS2004 but what is the difference between them both? 🙄

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Wile E Coyote Guest

You can read all about the new features on Flight Simulator 2004 site:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/

There are also many little improvments that aren't mentioned there, but they add more realism to the game.

If you want some examples, just say it. I'm here for you.

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

I'm all eyes 😀

Wile E Coyote Guest

It all compared to Flight Simulator 2002:

1. Taxiway lines are more detailed and clear.
2. ATC allows to "taxi to posion and hold" on the runway as other aircraft rolls down the runway.
3. No need to ask for progressive taxi from ATC, but the option still exists for pilots who don't know their way.
4. Landing and departing IA aircrafts are more realistic (they don't land heavily).
5. At some airports that have parallel runways, two runways are active at the same time.
6. Taxiing speed of IA aircrafts was increased.
7. Clearance Delivery usually doesn't clear you for cruising altitude initially.
8. You have the option to change the aircraft's payload (passengers and baggage), and see the effect on the aircraft's CG (center of gravity).
9. If you have Force Feedback Joystick, annoying strong bumps on the ground (like in the Cessna) were decreased.
10. Messages from ATC are always entered to the Kneeboard for a reminder.

I'm sure there is more, but that's all I can think about right now...
If you want to know disappointing things in Flight Simulator 2004, just
say...

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Are you a salesman, i have to buy it!! 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

If you want to know disappointing things in Flight Simulator 2004, just
say...[/quote

Yes you can tell me the dissappointing things but i'll probably still buy it anyway!!!😂
thanks....Is there anything else about the game that has come to mind that is different? 🙄

Wile E Coyote Guest

First of all, I'm NOT a salesman.
Actually I'm a private pilot myself, and I'm crazy for this game!
Unfortunately my computer doesn't comply with the requirements of the game.

Here are some disappointing points in Flight Simulator 2004:

1. Only if you have Force Feedback Joystick - forces were decreased, but too much!

2. To enjoy the game the most, you must have a powerful computer (and powerful AGP card). Unless you have it, the game won't serve its cause (and I mean REALLY POWERFUL).

3. When having real world weather in the game, you have to deal with really strong winds aloft (as in real world), and the transition between the layers is dangerous (abrupt and extreme changes in attitude, airspeed and air pressure) - meaning, the transition is not smoothe.

4. You can't land or depart runways that cross or not align with the active runway (only when they are parallel). In theory you can, but ATC won't approve.

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

First off i must salute you if you are a pilot and sorry for any offence caused. Well i have just bought FS2004 today after a hard search - as most of the usual game stores had none in stock. But i'm not playing on it till Christmas day, so i'll have something better to do rather than watch all the repeats on telly.
As for having a powerful computer (which i don't) i'll manage, i'm just debating whether to upgrade the one i have or buy a brand new one altogether. When i played FS2002 i was restricted to the custom airports (the ones with boring scenery) because if i went to somewhere like Heathrow it would nearly crash. But then i found out that my sound card had a role to play in this problem (SiS 7018 wave), i tried downloading a different driver but no joy. So then i disabled it, then enabled an emulated sound card on my system and now it works fine even on full graphics (SiS 630/730). But i still need it upgrading. Just think what FS2006 will be like? And the real weather problem is disappointing but no problem, remember the clouds in FS2002 if you had real weather on, the clouds would vanish and then reappear suddenly as you passed through different weather systems. And lastly how much did FS2004 cost you, it cost me £50!

Pro Member Trainee
NZBayleyboy Trainee

I have a current entry level PC and FS9 works fine for me. I have also downloaded my country terrain mesh (150m) several orthophotos and local aircraft which makes it even more fun.

Since purchasing the simulator (its not a game!!!) a few months ago I have been for some real lessons and sat my first exam. The comparison between VR and RL is very close. Even managed to land the plane on my first attempt (in real life).

Enjoy

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Well done NZBayleboy, i for one would love to be able to learn to fly - but i'm scared of heights and flying (how ironic). So i prefer to stay on the ground and still fly thanks to FS2004. Also what was the very first FS called? And does anybody remember a flight sim on the Commodore 64 called Acrojet, i think it was made by Microprose (or something) ❓

Pro Member Trainee
NZBayleyboy Trainee

Well, I can confess that I turned 40 this week but must say that I have had no experience until a few months ago. I had to wait until I had a PC that had enough memory to cope. I do remember playing a flight simulator on a Commodore 64 soon after the invention of the light bulb!!

Now I'm hooked though!

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Well happy birthday for whenever, hope you had a good one, the big 4 - 0.
Funny that i've just turned 21 yesterday.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...