CPU

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I have been looking at new CPU's, not sure whether I need one really, I have a 2.66 Ghz CPU at moment. Are they easy to install, and how is it done? Thanks a lot 😀

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's not that difficult but usually the increase that your board can a handle is quite small.
You ( after careful checking) may only be able to go up to say (a guess) to 3.0. Is it worth it.

http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/how_to/cpu/CPU.htm

Radar

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Radarman's right... the upgrade is likely to be minimal. If you wanted to get something much faster, you would need to change your motherboard also. I'm guessing you have a branded computer? If so, what model?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I would hang on to what youve got for the moment

Why?

At the moment the Athlon 64 seem to be king of the hill,but this would mean a new mobo plus other components

Good news is that prices are falling quite quickly for the now entry level Athlon 64 2800(not that very long ago this was the dogs twitcher)

The Athlon 64 4000 is very expensive and very hard to come by

I was going to build a A64 rig this Spring,but the way prices are going I think I will hang on a while and see what happens

Microsoft is about to release its Windows XP 64 version which may mean
Intel is about to release its 64bit chip,which should see prices tumble as both AMD and Intel battle it out again

But I think the "bang for buck" award will be kept by AMD

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I have a Dell PC. If I have to change the motherboard, I won't bother, I'll just upgrade RAM and video card, as it is too complicated for moi 😀 . Thanks for the help 🍻

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

99jolegg wrote:

I have a Dell PC. If I have to change the motherboard, I won't bother, I'll just upgrade RAM and video card, as it is too complicated for moi 😀 . Thanks for the help 🍻

Well, Dell have custom motherboards that only fit in their cases (the new ones anyway). So even purchasing a new motherboard might not be an option.

If it's a supermachine you want, I can recommend the Apple G5. I just bought myself a G5 Powermac with dual watercooled 2.5G5's and 2GB RAM. They really process the data, crunch through anything. They also run @ 64bit under Mac OS X.: http://www.apple.com/powermac/ The're no good for FS2004, but they run X-Plane and Flightgear just fine. They are also great if you like Unix, with a Unix base and access to the shell - it's perfect for any Unix geek.

TTT hit the nail on the head... wait for a while for it to become standard, then get yourself a 64bit setup. I can't really comment on the AMD side of things, im a 100% Intel man Embarassed

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

I wouldn't get too excited about win64, most of the results I have read, show the good 'ol 32 bit version working faster than the 64 one overall. I suppose that's why they call it a beta!

Mine still runs 32 Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

No, Im not excited by the prospect of WindowsXP 64.The piont I was trying to make was that Intel will shortly releasing their 64 bit CPU,which for some reason has been delayed to co-inside with the release of XP64

Why ?

Whatever the reason,and I dont take too much notice of the rumors as to why, what it means is the prospect of lower prices for the CPUs as Intel and AMD make counter claims about who's is the faster chip

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...