FLIGHT SIMULATION: ..."IT'S JUST A GAME!"

Is Computer Flight Simulation "JUST A GAME".
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
58%
 58%  [ 17 ]
Go ahead, ask me that again...(I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE...GRRR)
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Can be treated as both a game and "more"
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]

Total Votes : 29

Pro Member Trainee
C-GENX Trainee

😳 ...OK, OK before you get your Ailerons in a Flap...(pardon the pun) and before all of you FLIGHT SIM SOLDIERS force me to change my membership name, understand THIS IS NOT MY PERSONAL OPINION. DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER! 😞

😎 ... I have however thought about writing a post along these lines for somethime now. Undoubtably, I'm not the only person who's family/friends/significant others often gaze baffled and bewildered as to why I spend so much time "FLYING" from this place to that place.

❗ By the way: I'M OLDSCHOOL; having flown just about every simulator since the oldschool SUBLOGIC/Apple Flight Sims of the early 80's, through FS2004 and all marques inbetween (the likes of Falcon and IL2/Forgotten Battles , just to name a couple) ALL TOLD: probably better than 5000 hours flying the 'Virtual Skys'...2086 hours DOCUMENTED. 😀 Happy also am I to have gone the Real World route to Pilot Certification as well, thanks in no small part to the genre of Computer Flight Simulation.

It gets A LITTLE OLD - A LITTLE QUICK - trying to justify to these people in our lives why we do this. "YOUR NOT REALLY FLYING! IT'S JUST A GAME!!" I often question how many marriages fail 'cause often (next to the dog) a Flight Simulator Man's best friend is his JOYSTICK...(cough)...er, CALL IT LOVE OF FLYING. 😕

I guess this is why so many of us in the Flight Sim Community have to be thankful that through the wonder of technology we are able to reach out to fellow addicts and reasonably so 'AFFLICTED' persons through our hobby related websites and such.

As the globlal infection of Flight Simmers continues to increase, I just want to be humbled that I'm not the only person who's hair stands on end when someone retorts to me "IT'S ONLY A GAME".

Evil or Very Mad Somebody gonna get smack-down tonight...somewhere in the world. 😉

~S~ God Speed, and Smooth Landings 'all.

C-GENX
Mike Horvath
Calgary, Canada

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

A game is something you can play and can finish.
The Flight Simulator is like the Energizer Bunny...it goes on and on and on, you never have to finish it. There is always one more flight left.
Golf Sims are the same, there is always another course.

Radar

Byron- Seattle Area Guest

😀 I've been simming since 1986 and still loving it. My wife can't understand why. Well it's not a game. It is just cool! 😎

Pro Member First Officer
twistedsucker First Officer

Flight simulator may be what's called a game. But for me, and all the people around here, it's more like real life and much more realistic. Most games have unrealistic features. But this game doesn't. Everything in this game is cool and fun. Personally I think this game is more like a virtual flying lesson, you may not be able to experience what it would be like in real life but you still might be able to learn the basics and afterall its a 'Flight Simulator'

The Anonymous Guest Guest

Id have to vote that it is more then just a game. Anyone can buy this game and play it but someone who takes this stuff more seriously like me, very quickly realizes the complexity of Flight Simulation, its more then just a game. I got the new FS2004 (having had owned previous versions) i always too did fool around in FS and for the past 2 months Ive been working on every learning aspect of FS (all ground school and lessons, and only having 1 more lesson to learn before i go for my FS ATP), and only during this time have i came to realize that it entirely depends on the type of person.

For someone who is serious about flying and FS this is FAR more then just a game where as someone who doesn enjoy it all they see is "a game"

As i just read in a previous post on how mostly anyone can fly 737 in FS to some extent, but if that person were to take a closer examination of the manual and true aspects of the airplane, will this come to see the complex nature of the airplane. For some reason i can relate this to FS being more then just a game.

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Excellent post C-GNEX, and our Canadian Brethren are always welcome around here (I love Canada and am virtually flying exclusively for Air Canada and Jazz at the mo).

I thing RadarMan's analogy is perfect - there's apparantly infinite variety within the Sim.... When I rarely get a little tired of simulating Airline operations, I go off in my Cessna 152 and tour France using just a compass, or I cross the Irish Channel in the Curtiss Jenny!

There is no "end" to the sim - it cannot be "clocked" (to coin a phrase from my 80s gaming youth!).

My final bit to add is that I am not even 1% interested in any "Video Games" as such..... I hate PlayStations, Game Boys, etc, etc.... I'm not interested in Driving Games, racing games, "Fantasy" things like Doom, etc, etc > > > > > Sorry to offend those that like them but YAWN ! They really do feel like kidstuff to me.... My gaming days ended in 1992, aged 19, with Sonic the Hedgehog on my Mega Drive.

...But I love EVERYTHING to do with aviation and flying- it's on my blood and I enjoy this love every single day - I either talk to people, research things, read, or even dream about flying every day !

I can't fly due to Diabetes but FS2004 gives me so much realism, so much to learn, and so many challenges.... it is the most realistic virtual world that there is !

My final bit to add is that I am not even 1% interested in any "Video Games" as such..... I hate PlayStations, Game Boys, etc, etc.... I'm not interested in Driving Games, racing games, "Fantasy" things like Doom, etc, etc > >

Ditto from me..

It's not a game really in any sense of the word to me. I know it is to some people, but not me...Depends what you do with it.

For me, it's a complex exercise every time...and more fun than anyone should be allowed to have without breaking laws... ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

As far as simulation goes, it's not a game. As far as games go, I still play them. And there's a few i'm addicted to. I however hate most console games, with the exception of a select few.

With FlightSim, I have these times when all I do is fly, other times it's boring to me. In those cases, that's why I have Unreal Tournament 04', Doom 3, and my collection of Command and Conquer games.

Pro Member Trainee
sfetty Trainee

I am a "babe in the woods" when it comes to flight simulation. I am 53 years old and have zero desire to play any type of video or computer games. But I just finished printing off about 200 pages of flight simulation material that will help me in my efforts to learn how to fly efficiently and as close to real life without flying a real plane. If it were a game or didn't come close to real life flying, I wouldn't waste my time. I am really getting into the aspect of not only learning to control a simulation plane in regards to taking off, trimming the plane and performing a quality landing, but also the more complicated part of flying, at least for me, the ability to fly using instrumentation and flying from point A to point B without getting lost.

Someday I would like to do the real thing and I believe FS9 or the next version will put me that much further ahead. It isn't easy becoming profecient with the flight sims. I am glad it takes an effort to fly the planes in FS9 and learn the art of using tracking equipment to find your way around the open sky's of the world.

I am also a competitive pistol shooter and the similarities to Flight simulation and competitive shooting are very close. Both require a lot of practice and study to get profecient. I take both very seriously to the point that I like to do both well. I have been shooting for several years now and have become pretty good. Hopefully with practice, study and help from this forum, I will get pretty good at flying.

I guess in the final analysis, each of us has to decide whether or not flight simulation is a game or not. I personally choose to treat it as an excellent hobby that I enjoy and can learn a skill in the process. I don't look at it as a computer game ❗ 😉

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

I dunno, as I said here before, I love flying! Just the topic name makes me mad ! I don't look at Flight Sim as a game, and I am always appalled when some poor soul calls it a "game." But I also like Superman and wish I could fly like him !!! Maybe I'm weird!! rob

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

Like Sfetty said it's about refining techinque and that can go into all areas of a life. A flight simulator person is most likely 2B an analytical one. Nothing wrong with that. Probably also a high degree of interest in World geography. --From all that I know w/addons/ config/ cfg's/ AFCADS and all the rest of the technical engineering stuff, it goes beyond a game in terms of ones ability to manipulate and build it. No doubt that FS folks I know have their brains in full gear. Microsoft must have calculated this probability because they made the program almost completely open source.

Pro Member Trainee
siron Trainee

hi Guys, new to this forum, to me its something of ....like a passion! 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

When I told my school friends that I play flight simulator the first thing thay siad was "thats boring you should get a shoot'm'up game our something like that" no affence to the people who do play them but I dont like going around ruthlessly killing people.This is not a game to me theres a lot of difference between a simulator and a common game I'm not good with those games anyway thats why I chose fs9 becouse theres presure theres just nice calming flying.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...