FS Build vs FSNav vs Flight Sim Commander

Pro Member Trainee
Skymuncher Trainee

Hi,

I'm looking for an advandced flight planner / flight management utility. I have mainly heard of FSNavigator and FS Build. Which one would you recommend? Also I have heard that only FS Build was compatible with the 767 Level-D, which is an add-on that I am also considering. Is this true?

Thank you in advance for your help

Last edited by Skymuncher on Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Hello Skymuncher! Here's another flight planner utility for you to look at:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/419/
http://www.fscentral.com/flco60.html
http://www.simw.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_product_details&pid=1309

This is a very good flight planner utility. I don't have it but I've read the GPS-Kid's review about it and it surprised me. Here's the link. https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/4606/flight-sim-commander-7/

You can ask Mr. GPS-Kid about this amazing flight planner. His answers are very accurate. Remember this: after you finish reading a review from GPS-Kid, you will want to buy that product. His is very good with reviews.

Pro Member Trainee
Skymuncher Trainee

Hello,

Thank you very much Agus0404 for your answer, this software seems very interesting indeed... I then extend this request of opinions to Flight Sim Commander 7, and I will wait for other answers to make up my mind. 🙂

Thanks again,

Skymuncher

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Thank you Agus, you are very kind !

Yes, I would say that FS Commander 7.0 is a lesser known Flight Planning utility (compared to say FS Navigator that everyone raves about).

I think FS Commander is FAB ! It is extremely comprehensive and you can assemble any type of Flight Plan imaginable.

Adn best of all - no matter how complex your Flight Plan (even if it contains completely fictitious GPS references (Fixes), it can be read by the standard FS Flight Plan syste, once saved.

This means that you can either use FS Commander as a 'real time' system (it links with FS to give a real time moving map), or you can simply use it to construct and save your plans, then import them through the standard FS Planner.

I used FS Commander 7.0 this evening to help construct a Flight Plan that included the NATS (North Atlantic Tracks System)....

as NATS uses fictitious Reference points (ie... 5420N, 5010N), it is impossible to set up a true Atlantic crossing flight plan using the standard FS Flight Planner - but really easy using FS Commander.

Would wholly recommend it to anyone who wants an advanced Flight Planner.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

FS Commander gets another thumbs up from me too. Once you get used to the interface you'll find it to be a great product. You can even use it for free and set up a few flights just to see how it works. The database is HUGE, diagrams are very detailed (including gate and terminal maps!), and the printouts are incredibly comprehensive. It even prints out procedures for any possible departure/approach you may encounter, without even having to ask! I find that the fuel planner puts you fairly under what you should be, but all-in-all it's a nice addon.

Pro Member Captain

Agree on the Fuel Planner John - I found this too - I always add 10%.

Pro Member Trainee
Skymuncher Trainee

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your answers, I am nearly convinced... But allow me some more questions... I have read that FSUIPC was required. Is it true?
I was wondering also if FS Commander could allow me to export Flight Plans in the FMC of PMDG 737, A320 PIC or Level-D 767...
Thank you for your answers,

Skymuncher

Pro Member Captain

I don't use FS Commander as a link with FS (also since I only use the free-version), so for that FSUIPC isn't required. But you can save them in MS flightplan format. Using the printouts it shouldn't take too much to just hand-enter the flight plan to LDS or PMDG, especially if you're using jetways and SID/STARS.

Pro Member Trainee
Skymuncher Trainee

Thank you again for these answers 😀
Is the database of the Sids/stars kind of complete?

Pro Member Captain

I've found their approach / departure charts VERY thorough. Granted, United doesn't exactly fly to real-out-of-the-way airports, so I certainly don't get to test the degree to which it is complete.

Pro Member Trainee
Skymuncher Trainee

Thank you very much originalgrundge fir this information 🙂

Pro Member Captain

Aha! I've found something I don't like about FS Commander! When entering a route (talking about the free-version here), you can't manually enter jetways, and there is no real way to select them easily. Flying with United, I have a list of preferred routes, and it takes just as long as using FS's planner itself to enter in jetways!

If you could clarify how to do this GPS kid this will get an award for a nice planner in my book =).

Pro Member Captain

You're right, you can't enter a Jetway.

However, you can VIEW all Jetways and Victor Airways, by toggling on the icons on the left hand side (I'm talking about the full payware version).

So arguably, to construct a flight plan that takes in some Jetways, all you would need to do is include waypoints that join together certain intersections or navaids that forms the Jetway.

You can enter all Waypoints, fixes, and of course VORs, NDBs and Airports but you can't enter jetways... ie... J24.

You can include SIDs and STARs and you even include fictitious 9 (co-ordinate based) waypoints... ie... N50W20 which makes it great for planning NATS flight plans across the Atlantic.

I still think it's the best FS flight planner out there.... I'm not sure if you can include Jetway references in any planner for FS.

😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...