GPS setting Lat/long

Pro Member Trainee
PierreL Trainee

I have read the manual twice but can't seem to find how to enter a Lat/long in the GPS to be able to home on it. All I find are prerecorded waypoints.
I tried with the flight planner, but did not find a way either.
Is this at all possible, and if so how? ❓
Thanks,
Pierre

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I didn't know you could do that and have never heard of anyone talk about it Dont Know

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

What are you trying to find in the GPS? Airports? If so, hit the D with the Arrow through it and put in the Airport ICAO.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I think he means the actual latitude and longitude ie. N 45.23.86 E 34.78.23 or whatever it is 😀

Pro Member Trainee
PierreL Trainee

What I try to do is a flyover of some spots I have trekked to (and capture the track through my GPS) to see if the scenery is close enough to what I saw. If so I could preview a future trek by entering the Lat/long as a "personal waypoint" and do a fly over. Only interesting in mountaineous areas, in flat desertic the features are sparse and the scenery is very bland.

Normally, one should be able to enter an "airfield" with Lat/long assuming one has one of those big ranches in the Mid-West. Then, for the GPS which does not know any better one can call anything an airfield.

Thanks,

Pierre

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

When you are flying, go to the default Map in FS. There are Log./Lat. coordinates you can put in.

Pro Member Trainee
ToroGuns Trainee

Try this:

Inside FS, go to the Learning Center. Click on Flight Planner and scroll down to "Creating Custom Waypoints in Flight Plan Files."

Here's one I did by inserting the Lat/Long of a made-up intersection (ELWAV) between Colorado Springs and Aspen.

[flightplan]
AppVersion=9.1.40901
title=KCOS to KASE
description=KCOS, KASE
type=VFR
routetype=0
cruising_altitude=18500
departure_id=KCOS, N* 48.94', W104* 41.14', +006183.99
departure_position=L
destination_id=KASE, N* 13.90', W106* 52.38', +007819.99
departure_name=City Of Colorado Springs Mun
destination_name=Aspen-Pitkin Co/Sardy
waypoint.0=, KCOS, , KCOS, A, N38* 08.94', W104* 41.14', +006183.99,
waypoint.1=, ELWAV, , ELWAV, I, N38* 46.94', W105* 44.12', +000000.00,
waypoint.2=, KASE, , KASE, A, N39* 13.90', W106* 52.38', +007819.99,

Use FlightPlanner in FS to file between two airports in the vicinity of the area you want to visit. Then open the .PLN and insert the new line(s) with your Lat/Longs. Waypoints start at 0 and must be numbered in sequence.

Hope this helps...

Pro Member Trainee
PierreL Trainee

Hi FL050
I used the map and the Lat/Long, but I did not see that I could enter a Lat/long to position it on map and take a bearing.
I also tried the flight planner, but did not catch yet how to create a custom waypoint. Will try next
Thanks,
Pierre

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...