PMDG 737NG Timothy M. Metzinger FMC tutorial release 1.01

BashDaBish Guest

I asked this question on another thread but it deserves a thread of it's own. Can anyone help?

Actually, I have a few questions about this document.....but I will ask one at a time

Question 1
On page 24/25 it talks about setting up the FMC for your ATC clearance. He then go's on to provide the clearance that ATC will give you which you need to enter into the FMC. Okay, this I understand but what I don't understand is that clearance has not actually been given by the ATC and I am not able to request the clearence as no flight plan has been created during the flight setup. So if I was to set off to taxi, I have no taxi instructions or runway to takeoff from?

I hope I have explained this one correctly? I also understand I may not have grasped the document and possibly misunderstood or overlooked something.

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

I'm not sure I undersand you - why don't you just open the FS flight planner and set up your flight plan, then you will be able to get your IFR clearance from the NG cockpit and enter your runway, etc, etc to the FMC ?

If this doesn't help, give us some more information and we'll try to help.

😉

BashDaBish1 Guest

I have downloaded a .pdf document called 'PMDG 737NG Timothy M. Metzinger FMC tutorial release 1.01'. The whole point of the document is to take you through a flight from startup to shutdown in the PMDG 737.

It tells you to place your 737 at the St. Loius International Airport at gate 19 and then starts showing you how to use the overhead panel to start her up. Doesn't say anything about flight plans etc just to get in the baby and prepare for takeoff. He then explains about flight clearance but at no point mentions a Flight Simulator IFR flight plan or any ATC commands. He just tells you in the document that you have clearance and to enter the information into the FMC.

I suppose all this only makes sence if you have seen the above tutorial. Link can be found here https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/2101/timothy-metzinger-tutorial-aaaaggh/

Pro Member Captain

I know the 737NG very well (see some of my other posts on here on the topic), and also know of the Metzinger tutorial.

I think the tutorial is simply based around completing a flight without FS ATC, that's all.

You see, the NG has so much Automation (especially for departure via SID and arrival via STARs) that you can comfortably complete flights without needing ATC vectors to get you on course, or to get you onto the ILS at your destination.

So I would just follow the tutorial but not worry too much about the FS side of things, just go to your nearest Runway at St. Louis and then enter that Runway into the DEP/ARR screen as per the tutorial.

BashDaBish Guest

Thanks for the little nudge in the right direction Clap

Pro Member Captain

No probs - stick with the NG.... it is a headbuster at first but you'll soon get the hang of it and it feels great when you complete your first CAT3 Autoland in it ! 😉

BashDaBish Guest

One more question 😂

You mention SIDS and STARS and so does the manual. I understand these are departure and arrival procedures but I am unsure if I need to download the programs for them to use with the FMC? I assume I do but where can I get them from?

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

You can actually download them from the PMDG website. Your default PMDG comes with the SIDS/STARs already but they will be outdated.

(dead link removed)

Also, doesn't the ILS have to be CAT3 for the Autopilot to do the Approach?

Pro Member Captain

....in real life procedures YES, but in FS you can perform an Autoland in any plane that has the functionality, on any ILS Runway. 😉

hi!

I've also got a question. When I go the dep/arr page and click on sids, there is lindey2 but not the required lindey2.maw.

I've installed the latest NavData but nothing happens.

Thx for the answers.

Regards

Rob

Pro Member Captain

Are you sure Lindey2maw is not part of the Lindey2 SID ?

Try selecting this SID and see if it works anyway 😉

If not then, drop an email to PMDG and ask them to include it in the next data release.

The guys at PMDG are awesome and very professional.

😂

I would send you an e-mail including two pictures which could help you understand what I mean.

on the departure page, the sids should be displayed like this: e.g lindey2.maw. my fmc shows only lindey2 without maw. why is it so?

I would be very grateful for a useful answer.

Rob

RTAYLOR18 Guest

Without going into great detail I downloaded and printed Metzinger's STL to Charlotte. Everything was fine until I reached the Departure page at which point nothing in my FMC matched his. As an example mine has 1/2 indicating two pages and his 1/6 indicating six pages. As all six are used in his I get lost. Further mine has Blues 2 Cards 4 Lindy 2 Ozark3 while his has five with addendum's after each such as Cards5.CAP. I tried going to Metzinger's site but it turns out to be Flyaway or something and no one seems to know what I'm talking about. Believe me, I have been trying to fly your 737 since downloading but I cannot use the FMC. As I purchased both versions of the aircraft recently I have to believe there are no update or upgrades needed....but who knows. (I said without going into great detail didn't I). I now have two tutorials....one for St. Louis and one for New Zealand. Neither can be duplicated even if one goes line by line. The New Zealand chap's effort states (as an example) "Check legs and fix a discontinuities, but there should be none." It goes without saying that I haven't the foggiest what that means. At the end, someone somewhere must have created a tutorial for the FMC for the mentally handicapped. Can you help?

Regards,
Raymond Taylor

rtaylor18 Guest

The-GPS-Kid wrote:

I'm not sure I undersand you - why don't you just open the FS flight planner and set up your flight plan, then you will be able to get your IFR clearance from the NG cockpit and enter your runway, etc, etc to the FMC ?

If this doesn't help, give us some more information and we'll try to help.

😉

Can you tell me if there is a tutorial dealing with a simple flight. KLAX to KSAN direct would be ideal. As I understand what you are saying is that I should go into flight planning and create such a flight and then place theFS IFR info into my FMC. Boy I wish I could do that but when I try many of the FMC buttons do not work. If you understand FMC perhaps one day you will create a tutorial for the uninformed; simple, exact, and line by line explaining the creation of a FMC flight with no legs and just from here to there. I realize that is a lot to ask of someone but when one has been trying to fly the 737 for two months and spending hours trying to use Timothy Metzinger's efforts with no results (see my post below) praying is all that is left.

Regards

Raymond

Pro Member Captain

Hi Raymond,

I'm working on exactly that..... I actually tried using FRAPS (an FS video application) to 'video' a full 737NG flight, including all of the FMC entry but the application crashed my PC.

So seeing as there are a lot of people who ask for help (as I did too a year ago) on the NG, I'm going to write a tutorial over the next month or so, and put it out from this here fine site.

😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...