HELP MOI !!!

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Howzit

I was just wondering if any of you could help me with a particular problem.

I bought a relativly new program but when ever i try start it up, i get a message saying "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.", and the message has popped up for several programs now. The message gives me an option of ignoring the problem or closing the problem but when ever I press ignore it just terminates the program anyway.

Please if you know anyway on how to fix this, reply to this topic ASAP.

Surrender

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

I had this problem awhile ago I downloaded something can't remember what it's called. I'll have a look on my PC when I get home from work

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

You do not say what Windows you use - ME/2000/XP ???
The Autoexec.nt file is often used to fire up MS DOS but not always.
Used to be done by the old Autoexec.bat file.

Here is an extract from the Autoexec.nt file -

"REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF."

The answers could be that the applications are not 32 bit or MS DOS

You could always try the Compatabilty settings for the application.
Can you pull out the applications PIF?

BTW - would you care to answer my 'JVD - your repaint is ready M'lud'

Pro Member Captain

I use XP pro.

BTW - would you care to answer my 'JVD - your repaint is ready M'lud'

I'm not to sure what you mean because I replied but if you didn't get the message i'll be happy to send another.

Pro Member Captain

Re 'JVD Your repaint....' - as you can see there is no reply from you in the post trail. I would very much like a reply. Or did you reply by other means?

Re Application failure - with XP you can right click on the application exe file and chose properties and a window will open with options regarding Compatability use the help facility for what to do.

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

JVD - What DaveC is saying is that there is a posting he's left for you on a separate forum that you hadn't replied to. He was letting you know that he's finished working on a repaint for you. 😉

Pro Member Captain

Ok thanks GPS Kid.

Pro Member Captain

The-GPS-Kid wrote:

JVD - What DaveC is saying is that there is a posting he's left for you on a separate forum that you hadn't replied to. He was letting you know that he's finished working on a repaint for you. 😉

Thanks David - it must be my Scottish accent 😂
I think I have sorted it out via PM - it is just as well that I am a complacent, even tempered, patient old Scottish liar 😉

Pro Member Captain

Can you pull out the applications PIF?

I'm not as computer literate as some of you guys so could explain what the "PIF" is ❓

Pro Member Captain

PIF - program information file
It is a bit old fashioned now and often not used - a legacy from Apple programs when you had to run programs from a 5" floppy.
Should your applications have a PIF - then my bet is they are too old to run on Windows/MS DOS.

patblohm@datafast.net.au Guest

(((I bought a relativly new program but when ever i try start it up, i get a message saying "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications)))

I am not an expert, but I do know that some programs are particular as to what version Windows it needs to run.
Have a look on your Program box (if you have still have it) and it will tell you what version is needed to run your programs.
It also sounds like you have NT running on your system and not one of the more common Windows versions. Maybe you should upgrade to Windows XP and it may give you more flexibility with running programs. Remembering that a lot of programs also prefer the earlier windows versions such as Windows 98 etc.
It's just one of those annoying things that programmers don't make their programs more flexible for use with any Windows Versions.
Anyway, jsut check which version the program needs to work and go from there.

Pro Member Captain

patblohm@datafast.net.au siad:

Maybe you should upgrade to Windows XP and it may give you more flexibility with running programs

Well you see that's my problem, ever since I got XP [I update it often] certain programs wont work [e.g. Ejay 1 and PrintMasterGold].

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...