Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

motion sickness

Aero-Man Guest

Iwill be taking my 6th flight lesson next week, and I was wondering if anybody could offer some advice on what to eat, or what not to eat before the lesson. The reason that I am asking is because last lesson I started felling a little queesy. Help! Puke Up Ill
Thanks.

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

Don't worry, it happens with everyone. The first time I flew I got queezy too. You will get used to flying and it won't happen anymore. Within 10 flights, I would say, you should be good to go. Just make sure you get enough water in you until then and keep eating right.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Most people don't get motion sickness. People just think that you are going to throw-up and all that. Don't worry about what you eat. Just get enough sleep the night before. If it is your sixth lesson you may practice stalls. Be prepared!

Guest Ed Guest

I was in the navy for four years, and I've seen a few cases of motion sickness. Rolling Eyes But I've never been seasick myself; I've thought about it a few times, though. Laughing

Some people are more susceptable than others, but with time you can get over it. Talk it over with your instructor; you might ask about using an over-the-counter drug like Dramamine until you get more accustomed to flying, but don't take anything without asking-- some medications like that make you drowsy. I don't recommend Bonine, it makes me loopy. If you instructor says it's okay, try it for a day or two well before your lesson, so you can judge the effects.

I suggest avoiding greasy foods, stick with something pretty bland. If you need to eat before flying, stick with soda crackers and water or something like that. If you're feeling queasy, a greasy burger and fries won't help a bit. Wink

I don't know how practical it would be while flying, but if you can take time to look at the horizon now and then, I believe that it helps maintain your equilibrium. Your eyes help you sort out what your inner ears are telling you.

These are the things that work for me aboard ships and boats, but talk to you instructor and see what's recommended for flying.

And good luck,

Ed

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

The first time I went for lesson my instructor fell asleep because he knew that I knew what I was doing. After several minutes of just flying around and doing what I like, I decided turn turn towards the Airfield but as I was doing so, I hit some bad turbulence and it fliped us upside down. When the instructor landed I got out and could barely walk. I felt seriously sick but luckily I didn't throw up.Before the flight I ate nothing but a chocolate and went over some notes. I guess that maybe you should eat little food before flights, just until you have got used to the feeling of flying.

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

FL050 wrote:

Don't worry, it happens with everyone.

Not everyone! I've never felt ill playing a PC game Yucky

Pro Member Trainee
FighterJock Trainee

I dont really know wut to tell ya. ive flown a few times in little and big planes. i dont think it really matters. just dont think about getting sick. it is probably just a mental thing. also try not to eat anything that is spicy. u may have to go to the bathroom and not good. also dont drink to much water. ull have 2 pee really bad. um.... i cant think of anything else. good luck on that!

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

mypilot wrote:

Most people don't get motion sickness. People just think that you are going to throw-up and all that. Don't worry about what you eat. Just get enough sleep the night before. If it is your sixth lesson you may practice stalls. Be prepared!

mypilot, it sounds like you do a lot of flying. How many hrs have you logged, in real life?

Aero-Man, some times that happens to me to, you're not alone.

Aero-Man Guest

I really appreciate all the help that I got gotten.
Thanks. Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

SamIntel wrote:

mypilot wrote:

Most people don't get motion sickness. People just think that you are going to throw-up and all that. Don't worry about what you eat. Just get enough sleep the night before. If it is your sixth lesson you may practice stalls. Be prepared!

mypilot, it sounds like you do a lot of flying. How many hrs have you logged, in real life?

Aero-Man, some times that happens to me to, you're not alone.

17.7 to be exact. I started when I was ten. I got interested in it because my dad is a pilot. (he still has his liscense but no longer flys) My flight instructor recently moved to Texas to fly a twin turbo for a cargo airline so I havn't been up since my birthday (Nov. 4) Crying or Very sad He will move back here in a few years. In the mean time we will try to find another flight instructor.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

JVD wrote:

The first time I went for lesson my instructor fell asleep because he knew that I knew what I was doing. After several minutes of just flying around and doing what I like, I decided turn turn towards the Airfield but as I was doing so, I hit some bad turbulence and it fliped us upside down. When the instructor landed I got out and could barely walk. I felt seriously sick but luckily I didn't throw up.Before the flight I ate nothing but a chocolate and went over some notes. I guess that maybe you should eat little food before flights, just until you have got used to the feeling of flying.

That must had been scary! Fear When me, my dad, Peter, (my previous flight insturctor) and Peter were flying back from Phionex, AZ (where my relatives live) in our Piper Arrow, we hit some turbulence over PSP (palm springs) my dad and Peter hit their heads on the ceiling of the plane. Doh! Luckily I wasn't tall enough at the time. We didn't flip over though! Laughing



Last edited by Matthew Shope (mypilot) on Thu May 12, 2005 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

mypilot wrote:

17.7 to be exact. I started when I was ten. I got interested in it because my dad is a pilot. (he still has his liscense but no longer flys) My flight instructor recently moved to Texas to fly a twin turbo for a cargo airline so I havn't been up since my birthday (Nov. 4) Crying or Very sad He will move back here in a few years. In the mean time we will try to find another flight instructor.

Wow Shocked
You are so lucky. I have 5.2 hrs, I started on my 10th birthday. My parents pay for one on my birthday, the rest I pay for. I'd have more time, but it costs so much. Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Just so you know, my mom isn't my flight instructor. THat was Peter. Embarassed Just incase anybody noticed it. I edited it though.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Do you guys have flying schools. I'm talking about colleges that you actually stay at for about a year.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

SamIntel: The agreement was that if I took up flying, I would pay for it. They forgot about it the deal. My dad usually pays for my lessons. He gives me about 100 dollars a month.
JVD: My flight instructor rents a plane out of the flying club and the flying club pays for the gas. I'm not a member of the flying club though.

Guest

The famous advice about what to eat before flying gives the anwer of bananas. Not because they contain anything medicinal, just they are the only food that tastes the same in both directions.

Guest Ed Guest

Anonymous wrote:

The famous advice about what to eat before flying gives the anwer of bananas. Not because they contain anything medicinal, just they are the only food that tastes the same in both directions.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ed

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Did you experience that Laughing or did you read up about it Question

Guest

JVD wrote:

Did you experience that Laughing or did you read up about it Question

One of those little snippets of information I heard somewhere. I thnk it was an answer from a fast jet pilot before taking a journalist up for an aerobatics demo.

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1 You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Related Topics