ATI disappointment

Pro Member Trainee
Thierry (per007) Trainee

Hi
If you are using my type of graphics card (ATI RAdeon 9800 Pro 12😎, perhaps you'll recognise my problem. I am having big problems in the 'learning center' section, the words and figures mix up for some reason and the text just can't be read after scrolling the page. Appears to be a graphics card type of issue. I've found a link where this is discussed but it just won;t make it any better for me:
flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/ati2004.htm

Have you got any further suggestions for me, I've tried te bring back the settings to really low but doesn;t help. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 2.8 Ghz 1MB 220 Gb with winXP. Thanks.

Per

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I've been using that card for almost a year now and am very happy with it.
I never had the problem you did, are you using the "old" drivers they supplied with the card or did you clean them out and load the latest ATI drivers.
You can use this driver cleaner or the one that ATI has.

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

I am basically doing what this link you have shows (I've seen it before), it's been up a long time.
I keep my AA at 4x and my AF at 16X.
You will see a lower FPS with all of these settings than you would if they weren't maxed out, but the scenery is beautiful and worth the slight stuttering at graphic intensive areas such as airports or large cities.
Keep the clouds as low as possible and shut off the shadows that should help some.
Lower the traffic, shut off the texture.
Good luck and let us know how you do.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Thierry (per007) Trainee

Thanks for your reply. The problem isn't so much in the flying itself but in the learning center of the game. Whatever I put the settings to, there is little effect to the text section of FS. The same applies for the letters in the checklist that can be activated during the flight: scroll and everything in the checklist just blurs.

I've done exactly what the link said. I am desparate to read the lessons, I really need to do some training to improve my flying skills! Thanks.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I can sympathize with your problem.
Did you uninstall the old drivers and load new ones.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Thierry (per007) Trainee

It seems I didn't properly delete all of the old drivers earlier. After running Drivercleaner my problems disappeared. It could be me but I don't find the ATI website particularly clear about how to (un)install and which files to use (have installed Catalyst 5.6 now).

I'm really happy with how it all works now, I can finally do my training and flying in FS looks so much better now! Thanks for your comments, great help.

Per

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The new way they laid out their website leaves much to be desired. The old layout was very easy to navigate.

I'm glad all is working well now, thanks for letting us know.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...